Microsoft Office Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Disk or Network Error in Access 2003

 
 
Amy E. Baggott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2009, 08:49 PM
I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but has
suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the front and back
end or just freezing with no explanation. The user then has to click OK a
few dozen times before it will let you close (or just use End Task), but when
you open it back up almost immediately, it's fine. This happens at random
and just started this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network
problem, and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
that runs on the network.

Any ideas? It's getting to be a serious pain in the arse. TNX

--
Amy E. Baggott

"I''m going crazy and I''m taking all of you with me!" -- Linda Grayson
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
John Spencer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Databases are heavy users of networks and are sensitive to any network
problems. Most other applications will try again to get the data if they run
into a problem. So if word tries to fetch a document and something goes
wrong, it will probably try to fetch the document again, and you will never
see a message that something went wrong the first time it tried.

If this problem is affecting many users then I would suspect that there is a
network problem of some type.

Other possibilities would be patches to the Access software that just got
applied and has now triggering something to cause this.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2009
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Amy E. Baggott wrote:
> I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but has
> suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the front and back
> end or just freezing with no explanation. The user then has to click OK a
> few dozen times before it will let you close (or just use End Task), but when
> you open it back up almost immediately, it's fine. This happens at random
> and just started this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network
> problem, and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
> that runs on the network.
>
> Any ideas? It's getting to be a serious pain in the arse. TNX
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Banana
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2009, 10:06 PM
The problem may not be necessarily that there's a lack of network but
rather merely a network disruption. If my memory serves, simply
unplugging ethernet while the Access application is open is enough to
cause that unsavory error. I know that your Network Admin says it's not
a network problem, but if there's a funky network card on the network
that causes more disconnection/disruptions, it's enough to trigger the
errors. This is even true even if the computer with the funky network
card can surf the website and use other network resources without any
apparent disruptions.

As far as I know, the error is basically untrappable, so prevention is
the only thing you can do.


Amy E. Baggott wrote:
> I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but has
> suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the front and back
> end or just freezing with no explanation. The user then has to click OK a
> few dozen times before it will let you close (or just use End Task), but when
> you open it back up almost immediately, it's fine. This happens at random
> and just started this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network
> problem, and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
> that runs on the network.
>
> Any ideas? It's getting to be a serious pain in the arse. TNX
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
David W. Fenton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Banana <Banana@Republic> wrote in news:4AA18F6E.5080903@Republic:

> The problem may not be necessarily that there's a lack of network
> but rather merely a network disruption.


And the disruption can be for a very tiny interval.

What it means is that when Access/Jet/ACE last tried to ping the
locking file for the data file across the network, the ping failed.
Jet/ACE gives up at that point (though there may be some retries in
there), which is probably a good thing, as the last thing you'd want
is an locking file that is reporting incorrect information for other
users.

> If my memory serves, simply
> unplugging ethernet while the Access application is open is enough
> to cause that unsavory error.


Any dropped packet during Jet/ACE communication is going to cause
the error.

> I know that your Network Admin says it's not
> a network problem, but if there's a funky network card on the
> network that causes more disconnection/disruptions, it's enough to
> trigger the errors.


It can be caused by all sorts of issues, including software running
on the server that can interfere with the networking redirector.

> This is even true even if the computer with the funky network
> card can surf the website and use other network resources without
> any apparent disruptions.


The Internet is the most forgiving networking technology ever -- it
was built with the assumption that packets would be lost. And
websites are stateless, i.e., there's no bound data, so this is not
an issue.

> As far as I know, the error is basically untrappable, so
> prevention is the only thing you can do.


Access/Jet/ACE is the canary in the coal mine. Other apps may have
no difficulties, but this is precisely because what they are doing
across the network is not nearly as complicated as what Jet/ACE does
with locking its data files for the purpose of allowing multi-user
access.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Toews [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
Amy E. Baggott <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but has
>suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the front and back
>end or just freezing with no explanation. The user then has to click OK a
>few dozen times before it will let you close (or just use End Task), but when
>you open it back up almost immediately, it's fine. This happens at random
>and just started this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network
>problem, and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
>that runs on the network.
>
>Any ideas? It's getting to be a serious pain in the arse. TNX


No, it's either a hardware problem of some sort or possibly a network
driver problem. Is this happening on only one workstation or several.
If several then the problem is in the switch or the server.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
Granite Fleet Manager http://www.granitefleet.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Toews [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
John Spencer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Other possibilities would be patches to the Access software that just got
>applied and has now triggering something to cause this.


I've never seen Access/Jet do this.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
Tony's Main MS Access pages - http://www.granite.ab.ca/accsmstr.htm
Tony's Microsoft Access Blog - http://msmvps.com/blogs/access/
Granite Fleet Manager http://www.granitefleet.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
David W. Fenton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2009, 09:06 PM
"Tony Toews [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> John Spencer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Other possibilities would be patches to the Access software that
>>just got applied and has now triggering something to cause this.

>
> I've never seen Access/Jet do this.


It might be that changes in Access/Jet cause an underlying issue
elsewhere that predated the patch to suddenly become an issue. That
is, the problem was there, but only became an issue with a change of
Access/Jet executables.

I would agree that this is an unlikely source of the problem.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
 
Reply With Quote
 
David W. Fenton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-06-2009, 09:08 PM
=?Utf-8?B?QW15IEUuIEJhZ2dvdHQ=?=
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:6EC45FCA-5E13-4475-B386-(E-Mail Removed):

> I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but
> has suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the
> front and back end or just freezing with no explanation. The user
> then has to click OK a few dozen times before it will let you
> close (or just use End Task), but when you open it back up almost
> immediately, it's fine. This happens at random and just started
> this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network problem,
> and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
> that runs on the network.


Have any new computers been added to the LAN? I had a client whose
database ran fine for years, and when they added a new laptop,
suddenly things went wonky. Upgrading the NIC drivers on the laptop
fixed the problem.

It could also be a new server, router, switch or hub, or any other
component of the network. It doesn't have to be directly between the
machine experiencing the problem and the file server where the back
end is stored -- since network packets can go through any number of
hosts and get passed on by them, all the hosts connected to the LAN
are potentially causes of "pollution" of the LAN traffic with
packets that Access/Jet don't like.

--
David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Amy E. Baggott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
It is happening on multiple workstations in both the front end and the back
end (in fact I can get a pretty good guess of who's in the database by how
many shouts of, "Is something going on with the database?" I get. This just
started up last Monday. There were no changes to the network or the
workstations in the week preceding when the error started showing up.
--
Amy E. Baggott

"I''m going crazy and I''m taking all of you with me!" -- Linda Grayson


"David W. Fenton" wrote:

> =?Utf-8?B?QW15IEUuIEJhZ2dvdHQ=?=
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:6EC45FCA-5E13-4475-B386-(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but
> > has suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the
> > front and back end or just freezing with no explanation. The user
> > then has to click OK a few dozen times before it will let you
> > close (or just use End Task), but when you open it back up almost
> > immediately, it's fine. This happens at random and just started
> > this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network problem,
> > and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
> > that runs on the network.

>
> Have any new computers been added to the LAN? I had a client whose
> database ran fine for years, and when they added a new laptop,
> suddenly things went wonky. Upgrading the NIC drivers on the laptop
> fixed the problem.
>
> It could also be a new server, router, switch or hub, or any other
> component of the network. It doesn't have to be directly between the
> machine experiencing the problem and the file server where the back
> end is stored -- since network packets can go through any number of
> hosts and get passed on by them, all the hosts connected to the LAN
> are potentially causes of "pollution" of the LAN traffic with
> packets that Access/Jet don't like.
>
> --
> David W. Fenton http://www.dfenton.com/
> usenet at dfenton dot com http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Amy E. Baggott
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Prevention how? Without knowing what's causing it, I don't see how to
prevent it.
--
Amy E. Baggott

"I''m going crazy and I''m taking all of you with me!" -- Linda Grayson


"Banana" wrote:

> The problem may not be necessarily that there's a lack of network but
> rather merely a network disruption. If my memory serves, simply
> unplugging ethernet while the Access application is open is enough to
> cause that unsavory error. I know that your Network Admin says it's not
> a network problem, but if there's a funky network card on the network
> that causes more disconnection/disruptions, it's enough to trigger the
> errors. This is even true even if the computer with the funky network
> card can surf the website and use other network resources without any
> apparent disruptions.
>
> As far as I know, the error is basically untrappable, so prevention is
> the only thing you can do.
>
>
> Amy E. Baggott wrote:
> > I have an Access Database that has run stably for a few years, but has
> > suddenly started throwing "Disk or Network Errors" on both the front and back
> > end or just freezing with no explanation. The user then has to click OK a
> > few dozen times before it will let you close (or just use End Task), but when
> > you open it back up almost immediately, it's fine. This happens at random
> > and just started this week. My IT Network Admin says it's not a network
> > problem, and I'm inclined to agree because it isn't affecting anything else
> > that runs on the network.
> >
> > Any ideas? It's getting to be a serious pain in the arse. TNX
> >

>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Disk or Network error when printing in Access 2003 Whosack Access Forms 1 04-11-2006 05:47 PM
Disk or Network Error & Windows - Delayed Write failed Error MOM IT Helpdesk Access General 7 11-30-2005 05:16 PM
Access 2003: "Disk or network Error" Freek van Workum Access General 1 08-11-2005 07:54 PM
Very mysterious Access 2k Error: Disk or Network Error Tony Access General 5 01-29-2004 09:29 PM
Please help - Disk Error -34 "Disk Full" Error Marek Mac Office Outlook 0 09-17-2003 09:17 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:10 PM.
Microsoft Office Forums is not affiliated with Microsoft Corporation.


Welcome!
Welcome to the Microsoft Office Forums
 


Latest Threads
Mail Merging Content With High Quality
oleander (Yesterday, 11:59 PM)

Aargh. What is this?
PeteJ (Yesterday, 12:10 PM)

Word 2013 Insert Symbol (Not Responding)
tpthrshr (Yesterday, 02:49 AM)

Can't save a large Word document
Josh (Yesterday, 01:03 AM)

Remote help?
newman200 (04-13-2014, 12:54 PM)