Conditional Formatting Formula

Reaction score
Hopefully a simple one, i need to create a formula with conditional formatting to show the below.

I have 5 different ones to set up, but they will do the same thing

I want to have 4 cells shaded in with colour if 1 cell is blank.

L8 to O8 cells are shaded in if F8 is blank
P8 to S8 cells are shaded in if G8 is blank
T8 to W8 cells are shaded in if H8 is blank
X8 to AA8 cells are shaded in if I8 is blank
X8 to AA8 cells are shaded in if J8 is blank

The formulas will fill in the four cells with colour and then when a cost is entered in the single cell it will change the 4 cells to white

This is something i will hopefully use through the length of the workbook, i have done something like this before, but cant remember what formula i used

Can anyone help?

I have got something working, but when i enter an amount into F8 it only makes one of the cells white out of 4 in L8. M8, N8, O8

Hopefully looking at it makes sense

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well try this one: =IF($F$8<>"";TRUE;FALSE)
Typ this formula after you have selected the area you want to shade first. Go to conditional formatting and add the formula. Couple of things to keep in mind:
The ; in the formula can be a , depending on your regional settings. Try both and you will be warned via a messagebox. Secondly the formula tests for an empty cell so the cells will be shaded if there is nothing in the cell, not even a space. to test type in 1 and the delete the one. You should see the shading appear and disappear.
Hope this helps :)

Reaction score
Here's 3 of them. I'll let you add the others.
upload_2016-6-15_20-11-56.png

upload_2016-6-15_20-15-20.png

Ask a Question