How can I migrate all .n2k files from old terminal servers to new terminal servers?

J

Jack Johnson

I manage a Citrix Presentation Server 4.0 farm of about 30 servers. These servers are virtualized using ESX 3.5i and are running Windows Server 2003 SP2 as the OS.

Ten are these servers are currently being used as published desktops. These desktop servers are then used as a regular working desktop by Domain Users after they login thru a Web Interface. These desktop servers currently have Office 2003 Pro installed locally. End users are then able to use the Office apps once they login to the published desktops.

I recently tried upgrading from Office 2003 to 2007 on a couple of these ten desktop servers but had bad results. Start --> All Programs --> MS Office never showed Office 2007 links for Domain Users (only the 2003 links). It appears to be an issue with the All Users folders that I was unable to fix with the help of others. I tried uninstalling Office 2003 1st and then Office 2007. I also tried a 2003 to 2007 upgrade. Both had the same issue with Start --> All Programs –-> MS Office links.

After much research and wasted time trying to upgrade the existing desktop servers I decided to create new virtual servers from scratch. I then loaded Server 2003 and Office 2007. I then made the server a terminal server and then installed CPS 4.0. The Office links now work great. The only problem I am unable to resolve is with the Outlook profile migration process. The auto discovery piece works as expected, but for some reason users are having to re-select their signatures. Also when they click on To they are not seeing the remembered people they have sent to previously. I believe this is called the Auto Complete feature of Outlook.

Is there an easy way to copy all of the .n2k files for all users from the existing servers to the new desktop servers so that users will have the auto complete email address feature and other remembered settings? THANKS! .
Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com

D

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

You are correct about the nk2. It's the nickname cache and you need to move
it for autocomplete to work.

I'd script something to copy the nk2 from one server and copy it to the
other. As long as the user account names are the same, it might qualify as
easy.

If you need more help with this, I'd suggest forums that support terminal
services or server administration - we deal with end user issues here and
while we can answer some server-side questions, its not our area of
expertise.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange:
mailto:[email protected]

Poll: What version of Outlook do you use?
http://forums.slipstick.com/showthread.php?t=27072

Ask a Question