Office 2003:SP1 Errors 1336 and 1603 Office setup install team makes buggiest installs on the planet

C

Chad Harris

On box: XP SP2 and MOS 2003.

I have tried several times to optimize conditions to install SP1 for Office 2003. I have plenty of disk space, NAV Script Blocking and Auto Update are off, Office Source Engine started in services in the MMC.

I get:
Error 1336. There was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation. Folder: C:\Config.Msi\. System error code: 267

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - Update 'Office 2003 Service Pack 1' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix(00010)_Msi.log.

I've been dealing with these setup error messages and Redmond Raiders of the Lost Ark for installs now for months. It really behooves the developers who are now Evangelist blogging about Office.net and Office 12 and Office Longhorn/Blackcomb gleam in the eye to get basics correct once and for all. If you over view Office and compare other apps within MSFT and 3rd party, Mac, and Linux the Office Team should be singled out for an aware for the buggiest install creators in the History of Cyber Civilization.

It seems as if every Office install for a lot of people who take good care of their PCs is buggy and a hassle.

One wonders when MSFT will get the message not to make even searching for these errors a scavenger hunt:

"Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix(00010)_Msi.log."

Why should you have to make multiple stops and wade through Hungarian Notation and Hex just to get a straight answer about what you can do to get the stuff in?

The Office team should get some T-shirts with an F minus branded on the front and back for continuing to produce buggy setups and installs and doing their utmost to hide the solutions.

Any help for Errors 1336 and 1603--another twin bundle of joy brought to you by Redmond Office setup would be appreciated a lot.

I've seen the KBs and they couldn't be less helpful--they deal with narrow situations, and are among the least helpful KBs I've seen in several thousand I've read. I know my MSI is intact. I've installed a lot of things, One Note SP1 and an Outlook/BCM update today among them.

Tia,

Chad harris

S

Sloan Crayton [MS]

Log files are created in the '%temp%\ohotfix' folder that provide an
indication of what might be causing the installation to fail. The file you
want will have a name like 'OHotfix(0000x).log' where 'x' is a number. It
will likely be the most recent of these files. It should be a relatively
small file (mine is only 4kb), and if you attach it in a reply, I'll review
it.

Log files are not generated if you install from Office Update; so install from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...A6-7CB1-4F61-837E-5F938254FC47&displaylang=en.

Sloan Crayton
Microsoft
On box: XP SP2 and MOS 2003.

I have tried several times to optimize conditions to install SP1 for Office 2003. I have plenty of disk space, NAV Script Blocking and Auto Update are off, Office Source Engine started in services in the MMC.

I get:
Error 1336. There was an error creating a temporary file that is needed to complete this installation. Folder: C:\Config.Msi\. System error code: 267

Product: Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - Update 'Office 2003 Service Pack 1' could not be installed. Error code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix(00010)_Msi.log.

I've been dealing with these setup error messages and Redmond Raiders of the Lost Ark for installs now for months. It really behooves the developers who are now Evangelist blogging about Office.net and Office 12 and Office Longhorn/Blackcomb gleam in the eye to get basics correct once and for all. If you over view Office and compare other apps within MSFT and 3rd party, Mac, and Linux the Office Team should be singled out for an aware for the buggiest install creators in the History of Cyber Civilization.

It seems as if every Office install for a lot of people who take good care of their PCs is buggy and a hassle.

One wonders when MSFT will get the message not to make even searching for these errors a scavenger hunt:

"Additional information is available in the log file C:\DOCUME~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix(00010)_Msi.log."

Why should you have to make multiple stops and wade through Hungarian Notation and Hex just to get a straight answer about what you can do to get the stuff in?

The Office team should get some T-shirts with an F minus branded on the front and back for continuing to produce buggy setups and installs and doing their utmost to hide the solutions.

Any help for Errors 1336 and 1603--another twin bundle of joy brought to you by Redmond Office setup would be appreciated a lot.

I've seen the KBs and they couldn't be less helpful--they deal with narrow situations, and are among the least helpful KBs I've seen in several thousand I've read. I know my MSI is intact. I've installed a lot of things, One Note SP1 and an Outlook/BCM update today among them.

Tia,

Chad harris

Ask a Question