Recover Outlook Express data

Reaction score
I'm trying to help a friend who's computer got into a state where windows would not boot. Windows repair and a few other tricks didn't work and he didn't have many programs so I just re-installed windows but not before taking a full image of the original drive state.

Everything works great now except he says he had a lot of old emails saved that are gone now and his address book is empty. I already reconfigured outlook express to get his mail (standard pop3) and that's working fine but obviously his old stuff was not on the server nor was his address book. Since I have a copy of all his old data logically their should be a way to recover and manually bring his old email and address book into the new installation. However I wasn't able t do a proper export so basically all i have is a copy of the files from the old HDD.

What files should I be looking to copy back from the old image and how should i import them so as to not destroy his new mail that's downloaded but still restore his old mail and contacts?

Reaction score
Outlook Express has been dead for 10 years and my memory only goes back 1 year, so here goes:

You should be able to set up Outlook Express so that it creates the Identities folder. Then copy all the DBX files into this folder and OE should be whole again. It worked like that for me, but that was 10 years ago.

Windows Address Book (username.wab) is in:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Applicat
ion Data\Microsoft\Address Book

For more: http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/where-to-find-outlook-express-viewer/

Ask a Question