Adding a big matrix in Word 2013

Reaction score
Hi,

I've an Excel file in which there is a huge matrix (close to 70 rows and 25 columns, mostly Y/N). I need to add this to a Word document. Since this is a living file, inserting as attachment is not an option. Normal copy/paste or creation of table is also out of the question since it looks untidy and is difficult to comprehend.

I was thinking about this solution. Create a table with three or four important columns with corresponding entries. And, create two drop-down lists in the next column for each row, one with the remaining column title entries, and the other with the corresponding value (Y/N, other values). How can this be done?

I can create a list and populate with the column titles (first list). How can I create another list by its side, where when in a specific row a specific title from the first list is created, corresponding row value should appear in the second list?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could, of course, copy the Excel range, then paste it into Word using 'Paste Special' with the 'Paste Link' option and the paste format of your choice. That way, the Word table will automatically update to reflect any changes in the Excel data. If you name the Excel range before doing the copy/paste, you will then be able to expand/contract the range in Excel and have Word automatically adjust it's output to match.

Reaction score
Sounds enticing, @macropod
However, the reason why I don't want the complete Excel table in Word is because of the size of the table. It's huge and Word cannot adjust the margins without making the cells looks really tiny and rendering the content incomprehensible.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
So insert only as much as you need! And you did say "I need to add this to a Word document"...

Reaction score
Yeah, that was why I wanted to display only three or four columns in the Word document, and make the others (almost 20) visible only on clicking something, or choosing something. Is there an alternative?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
You could, of course, insert different ranges of the Excel data (e.g. in 5-column blocks) as separate tables via the copy/paste technique I described...

Ask a Question