Automatic resource assignment?

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently started working on MP at work in hopes to help organize our shop and field crews. I have some explanation below to give you a brief background of what I am looking at because it took me a while to get where I am at now (by teaching myself). Sorry this got a bit lengthy but I figure the more I explain the easier it will be to give me an answer.

Our company is considered a mechanical contractor. We have both a fabrication shop as well as field crews. The two are run essentially as separate entities, however, often field jobs will need some fab work done prior to installation.

So in my project view I have several tasks (different job numbers with a brief description of customer/project). Under that I have it broken into different categories. The three categories I use are 'engineering' 'fab work' and 'field work'. Engineering is the time it takes us for drawings (plant layout, design, basic engineering/sales, etc). Fab work is anything made in our fab shop. Field work is installation.

After figuring out that duration is total time it takes to do a project with the 'work' being estimated hours of a job I moved onto resource allocation. Without getting into the details I just named my resources things like 'shop 1' or 'field 1' depending if it was a shop or a field job, since almost 100% of the time they are separate. Our field crews often travel for months on end while our shop guys work (usually) 6-2.

This is where I started to run into problems... I can easily organize field jobs since our sales men know that the job will take 'x' number of men 'y' hours per day to get a job done. So they supply me with that information. So for a job that has 2000 man hours I can put 5 guys on the job working 10 hour days M-S and 5 on Sunday. Then I can go in and modify 4 days off every 17 days. The shop however wants me to use this as a tool to HELP them schedule.

So (again, sorry for the length) if I have several current jobs in the fab shop with total estimated hours that needs to be finished by a certain date ~ how can I work backwards and get a solution? They need help knowing where they will be in a bind and have to put in overtime. I tried assigning a resource group with 12 shop guys (Shop 1, Shop 2, etc.) listed under that group in hopes it would do they work for me.

Can anyone give me some guidance for the best way to go about this? hopefully I explained this well enough to give you a good idea of what I mean. If you have questions pleeease don't hesitate as I need to have some more progress for this Thursday's production meeting.

Thanks!

~Casey

Reaction score
Hi Casey,

Am I correct in understanding that you want to do the following...

1. Define a collection of tasks
  2. Configure a list of resources who *could* do the task
  3. Have the software work out who should do what

If this is the case, I don't believe Project can help you out of the box. I do know of an add-in that will work perfectly for you though.

Ask a Question