Cannot access word file from My Documents

R

Richard in AZ

I have a customer with a new Dell Computer using Windows XP Home and Office 2002.
Word opens just fine and documents saved go to the User's (only one user with administrative rights)
My Documents folder.
However, when you open the My Documents folder and select any Word file you get error messages.

"The file name or path is not correct
Open the file from Word using File - Open"
You click okay and a new error window opens:
"You may not have permission to this file (or something similar)"
You click okay and then Word opens to a blank sheet.

I have checked the properties of the files and of the folder and found that "read only" has not been
checked and every other items looks normal.
I booted in the Safe Mode to access the Administrator and check the permissions for the user. She
has full permissions on this folder and all files.
I have deleted the "normal.dot" file and still the problem exists for all Word files in the My
Documents.
If she uses the File - open command from within Word, the files in My Documents open just fine.
If she uses the File - then selects from one from the recently opened file list, the same error
message.

She has not used Excel or any other office program.
I would guess she does not have all of the Windows, or Office, updates as she has only a 26.8 Kb
internet connection (mobile home park phone system problem) and just manages to keep her antivirus
up to date. She only uses the Internet for email.

She is 89 years old and very unhappy with this problem.

Any suggestions to try on my next visit.

G

GMc

Richard,
See Knowledge Base article 328100, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328100.
It seems to describe the problem your customer encounters. She needs the
Office update mentioned in the article. There are also two workarounds listed.

Hope you can make this little lady happy!

R

Richard in AZ

Thank you for the information. I will try it at my next visit. She lives about 15 miles from me
and I try to help her as often as I can.

Ask a Question