Grouping by Custom Fields and how it displays...

Reaction score
I've searched high and low on this one, and I've found a shocking variety of answers over the past few years...

I USED to be able to group my activities by custom fields I've created, and have those groupings display the DESCRIPTION of each field assignment. This is necessary because - since MS Project insists on grouping by alphabetical (or numerical) order, I have to build my field values with simple "1-2-3-4..." assignments.

Lately however, I've only been able to get my groups to display the VALUE of each field So I get a simple "1" and then all the tasks assigned that value. This forces me to build values such as "1) Engineering, 2) Procurement", etcetera.

This would be a feasible workaround, except that I prefer to use the Outline Codes in MSP, and this becomes a nightmare when complying with a Code Mask...

Here's the real kicker... I have MSP 07 at home and MSP 2010 at work. If I build a schedule at home, assign fields and group by them, I see the field descriptions at the top of each grouping. If I then save the file and open it at my office, the groupings suddenly display the value instead!!!

I've read replies to this EXACT same question on other forums, where people have said, "Sorry, MSP 07 cannot display the descriptions - only the values." This is false! I can do it at home all day!

This MUST be a discrepancy somewhere at the global level of the application - the only explainable reason why it shows one way at home, and another way at work. But I'm at a loss. I can't find it. If I have to rip into the executable file for MSP to fix it, I will!!!

Please help me out. I HAVE to get this to work neatly or my employer will continue to be completely lost when it comes to advanced project scheduling theory.

Thank you.

Jeff

Ask a Question