How to filter rows data based on background color of individual cells

• Thread starter Danielle Schoeck
  • Start date
D

Danielle Schoeck

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and have been reading forums for a couple hours trying to find a solution for my issue, if anyone can help I'd be really appreciative!!

I have about 30 spreadsheets that I need to sort data. I'm using a Excel: Mac 2011.

Each sheet has about 100 rows and 80 columns.

I need to extract the rows that have a colored cell somewhere in the row. There are three types of colored cells: black, green, and red. The green and red have X typed in them too. The black cells have D typed in them.

Every row in the sheet has at least one cell with an X in it (colored or not).

I just need the rows with a colored cell to be extracted or filtered from all the rows without colored cells.

Hope this was enough information! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to clarify, and thanks.

Best,
Danielle

R

Ron Rosenfeld

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and have been reading forums for a couple hours trying to find a solution for my issue, if anyone can help I'd be really appreciative!!

I have about 30 spreadsheets that I need to sort data. I'm using a Excel: Mac 2011.

Each sheet has about 100 rows and 80 columns.

I need to extract the rows that have a colored cell somewhere in the row. There are three types of colored cells: black, green, and red. The green and red have X typed in them too. The black cells have D typed in them.

Every row in the sheet has at least one cell with an X in it (colored or not).

I just need the rows with a colored cell to be extracted or filtered from all the rows without colored cells.

Hope this was enough information! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to clarify, and thanks.

Best,
Danielle

In Excel 2007 (and I am not sure if this also applies to MAC 2011) the Data filter can filter by color IF the color was applied manually. Go to the Sort & Filter tab of the Data ribbon and select Filter. One of the options will be filter by color, with a choice of font, cell or icon (or something similar.

If the colors are the result of conditional formatting, then you can filter using the same criteria as the CF criteria -- probably have to use the Advanced Filter.

With the Advanced filter, you can copy to a new location.

With the Autofilter, you can select the range, then on the Home Ribbon / Find and Select /Go to Visible cells. Then copy and paste to the new location.

C

Claus Busch

Hi Ron,

Am Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:18:05 -0500 schrieb Ron Rosenfeld:
In Excel 2007 (and I am not sure if this also applies to MAC 2011) the Data filter can filter by color IF the color was applied manually. Go to the Sort & Filter tab of the Data ribbon and select Filter. One of the options will be filter by color, with a choice of font, cell or icon (or something similar.

the filter by color also works with color of conditional formatting.

Regards
Claus B.

Ask a Question