Outlook TO: population


D

David A

When you compose a new email msg and click on "TO" in order to get your
address book so you can select recipients from your private contacts or even
public folder, then highlight all recipients - and insert them into the email
- outlook will pick all available email addresses for that person including
(!!!) fax numbers - Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid e-mail
addresses.
This is a problem.
Sometime emails need to be send to email addresses ONLY, or to the primary
email address and not to the secondary.
The reason for that is because the user did a good data entry job and
populated all of the fields for a contact.

I found a work around, but it's manual and not useful.
I find it hard to believe that Outlook will give you the option to fill in
all of the fields in a new contact, but will not let you choose where to send
your msg.

Any suggestions?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

There are a number of different ways to group recipients in Outlook. "Select
All" from the address book view is the worst I can think of. Examine
Distribution Lists, Categories and separate Contact subfolders for the
method that will meet your need best. You haven't really clarified what you
want to do, so just pick what works best for you.
 
D

David A

This didn't address my issue so I will reclarify

We are desiring that when we select a group of recipients in Outlook that it
selects only their e-mail address not their fax numbers. As indicated below
when we select a group of contacts it populates the e-mail with both their
e-mail and their fax number, if present. This is the problem; we only want
their e-mail to populate not also their fax number.

Hopefully made sense

Russ Valentine said:
There are a number of different ways to group recipients in Outlook. "Select
All" from the address book view is the worst I can think of. Examine
Distribution Lists, Categories and separate Contact subfolders for the
method that will meet your need best. You haven't really clarified what you
want to do, so just pick what works best for you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
David A said:
When you compose a new email msg and click on "TO" in order to get your
address book so you can select recipients from your private contacts or
even
public folder, then highlight all recipients - and insert them into the
email
- outlook will pick all available email addresses for that person
including
(!!!) fax numbers - Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid e-mail
addresses.
This is a problem.
Sometime emails need to be send to email addresses ONLY, or to the primary
email address and not to the secondary.
The reason for that is because the user did a good data entry job and
populated all of the fields for a contact.

I found a work around, but it's manual and not useful.
I find it hard to believe that Outlook will give you the option to fill in
all of the fields in a new contact, but will not let you choose where to
send
your msg.

Any suggestions?
 
Ad

Advertisements

R

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Yeah, but that's been answered countless times here. I assumed you read the
groups before posting the same question again.
Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid electronic addresses, since there
are many client- and server-based components that can use such addresses.

One method to hide fax numbers from the address book is to prefix the fax
number with one or more letters (maybe B for business fax, H for home, O for
other). If the fax number begins with a letter, Outlook won't show it in the
address book.

There are a couple of utilities that can help you hide fax numbers from the
address book. See:
http://www.rsoutlook.com/us/rshifa.htm
http://www.sperrysoftware.com/Outlook_Solutions.htm (Hide Fax Numbers)
http://www.mapilab.com/outlook/toolbox/

Another way to avoid having fax numbers appear in the address book is
simply not to enter data in the fax fields. Put fax numbers in some other
(non-phone) fields.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
David A said:
This didn't address my issue so I will reclarify

We are desiring that when we select a group of recipients in Outlook that
it
selects only their e-mail address not their fax numbers. As indicated
below
when we select a group of contacts it populates the e-mail with both their
e-mail and their fax number, if present. This is the problem; we only
want
their e-mail to populate not also their fax number.

Hopefully made sense

Russ Valentine said:
There are a number of different ways to group recipients in Outlook.
"Select
All" from the address book view is the worst I can think of. Examine
Distribution Lists, Categories and separate Contact subfolders for the
method that will meet your need best. You haven't really clarified what
you
want to do, so just pick what works best for you.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
David A said:
When you compose a new email msg and click on "TO" in order to get your
address book so you can select recipients from your private contacts or
even
public folder, then highlight all recipients - and insert them into the
email
- outlook will pick all available email addresses for that person
including
(!!!) fax numbers - Outlook considers fax numbers to be valid e-mail
addresses.
This is a problem.
Sometime emails need to be send to email addresses ONLY, or to the
primary
email address and not to the secondary.
The reason for that is because the user did a good data entry job and
populated all of the fields for a contact.

I found a work around, but it's manual and not useful.
I find it hard to believe that Outlook will give you the option to fill
in
all of the fields in a new contact, but will not let you choose where
to
send
your msg.

Any suggestions?
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top