Page numbers in TOC not updated

D

Dstarss

I have created a template with a standard TOC at the top of the document. The thing is, when I open a new document based on that template, the numbering in the TOC is no longer updated correctly. I've tried redoing the document a few times, redo the TOC etc but the same thing keeps happening, i.e. it looks fine in the template but not in the documents based on it. First I thought I had forgot to update the template, but like I said everything looks fine there. Am I missing something obvious?

S

Stefan Blom

After you have created a new document (and added headings to it), you will
have to update the TOC manually. For example, select it and press F9.

The alternative is to create an AutoOpen macro that updates any TOCs when
you open a document in Word.

D

Dstarss

Updating the TOC was the last thing I did before saving the document, so shouldn't it be updated in the new document based on that template then? I'm not making any changes to the headings or adding any new ones. The TOC is included in the template because I don't won't anyone to make any changes to it.

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

You don't have to "make any changes," but you do have to press F9 to force
it to update based on current content.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

D

Dstarss

Sorry to be a pain but, what you're saying is, regardless of the fact that I don't make any changes to the content or the toc in the new doc (based on that template), I still have to press F9 for the page numbering to be correct

It feels a bit illogical to have to update the toc the first thing I do despite not having changed anything. I thought the idea with a template was to be able to create new documents that would initially look exactly like the template

I think the thing I can't get my head around is why the new document can't have correct page numbering in the toc when the content is exactly the same as it was in the template.

S

Stefan Blom

In theory you are right: If nothing has changed, you shouldn't have to
update the TOC. But in practice it is sometimes necessary (I don't know
why).

As an alternative to including a TOC in the template file, you can save it
as an AutoText (or Building Block) entry and insert the AutoText as
required. When you insert an AutoText containing a field, that field will be
updated.

S

Suzanne S. Barnhill

The page numbers should be correct unless you are opening the document
directly from an email attachment in Reading Layout view.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://word.mvps.org

Ask a Question