Visio 2013: how do I auto-colour Shapes in alignment with pre-entered Shape Data?

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I have a query regarding Visio 2013 and how to colour shapes in alignment with pre-set shape data criteria (as reflected in their respective Shape Data boxes).

e.g. I would like every shape with a certain 'Department' entered alongside it in its Shape Data box, to appear in (a pre-selected) shade of green.

I have searched under every existing toolbar and accompanying option/s, and am currently still unable to work out how to do this.
I would like to be able to do this without having to manually update our (complex) matrix organisation charts by looking at each shape's accompanying Shape Data details to do so.

I have searched far and wide (both online and through the Visio 2013 Help menus) but have found nothing so far!
I cannot find the 'Color by Value' and 'Data Graphics Master' options as mentioned in numerous sites in alliance with earlier Visio versions.

Regardless, I am not sure whether the same terminologies apply to Visio 2013 as it is!
Can anyone possibly help me do this?

A zillion thanks in advance,
Poppy.

Ask a Question