Word cannot sort fields in the selection

Reaction score
I have a references list consist of 30 pages, I cannot do the alphabetical sorting to them, word give me this message: word cannot sort fields in the selection . All the paragraphs are perfect and I don't have Any hyperlinks. What the reason for this problem. Please help me

Reaction score
Try copying your reference on another doc. Check if any of your text or lines in the reference has a field code attach to it which happens when any one of these reference entries was automatically populated when you used in-text citation. If you find any, cut it and repaste as plain text without any field codes. Try sorting again. Good luck. Nashon

Reaction score
I had this issue before. However, after many attempts, I found a solution that helped me.
  • Copy all the references list.
  • Past it in Google Translate. (The reason is that I want to get rid of Microsoft formate and get the plaint text formate)
  • Copy it from Google Translate and past it into Microsoft Word.
  • In Word, go to Home, click AZ, Choose Paragraph, and Text.
You can do Hanging one time by selecting all the references list and go to Formate, Paragraph, Special, Hanging By (0.5")

I hope this will work for you.

Regards,
Jerry

Reaction score
Thank you, Nashon!!! You just saved me Tons of time!!!

Try copying your reference on another doc. Check if any of your text or lines in the reference has a field code attach to it which happens when any one of these reference entries was automatically populated when you used in-text citation. If you find any, cut it and repaste as plain text without any field codes. Try sorting again. Good luck. Nashon

Reaction score
Thanks for this, I did not want to lose the italics on my over 50 reference titles, so I did not want to paste it in Google, but when I pasted it in PowerPoint and then pasted it back in Microsoft Word it worked.

Reaction score
Thanks for this, I did not want to lose the italics on my over 50 reference titles, so I did not want to paste it in Google, but when I pasted it in PowerPoint and then pasted it back in Microsoft Word it worked.
Thanks Njeri for such valuable help. I copied the references in PPT and pasted back to MS word and it worked perfect.

Reaction score
I had this issue before. However, after many attempts, I found a solution that helped me.
  • Copy all the references list.
  • Past it in Google Translate. (The reason is that I want to get rid of Microsoft formate and get the plaint text formate)
  • Copy it from Google Translate and past it into Microsoft Word.
  • In Word, go to Home, click AZ, Choose Paragraph, and Text.
You can do Hanging one time by selecting all the references list and go to Formate, Paragraph, Special, Hanging By (0.5")

I hope this will work for you.

Regards,
Jerry
Thanks Gerry, your recommendation 'saved the day' for me. Many thanks

Ask a Question