1.5 Line Spacing Problems

M

msuter

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

I am using Word for Mac 2004, v. 11. Most of the time it works fine. However, I have a problem when I want to use 1.5 line spacing in certain situations.

I have typed a paragraph of instructions and want to make it a sentence-by-sentence list. I have pressed Enter at the end of each sentence to move it down to the next line. If all of the sentences are no more than one line long, there's no problem in highlighting the sentences and formatting them to 1.5 spacing. The problem occurs when some of the sentences are several lines long.

I want the multi-line sentence to be single spaced with the 1.5 spacing between it and the next sentence. What often happens--but not always--is that if I click 1.5 spacing at the end of the single-spaced multi-line sentence, it will change the preceding multi-line sentence to 1.5 spacing as well. Sometimes I can space a couple of times after the closing period and then click 1.5 spacing and it will work okay; most of the time it will not. When it doesn't work, I have to double space between sentences, which changes the formatting.

Has anyone else had this problem or do you have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

C

CyberTaz

You need to make the distinction between Line Spacing and Paragraph Spacing.

Line Spacing affects all lines of a paragraph whereas Paragraph Spacing
Before/After affects the spacing between paragraphs without affecting the
Line Spacing within the paragraph.

Leave your Line Spacing at Single, select all the paragraphs then go into
the Format> Paragraph dialog & change the Space After to whatever you
prefer. The space between the paragraphs will be increased to whatever the
line spacing is *plus* the amount you specified. See the following Help
topic for a bit more information:

Changing the vertical space between lines or paragraphs

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac