"Deleted" rules in refuse to stop running

B

Blah

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange So I created 2 simple separate rules in regards to my Inbox (server side) and my Inbox (On my computer).

The first rule (Inbox server side) contained only 1 criteria and involved placing email from a specific person into a specific category; no big deal, right?

The second rule (On my computer) involved copying the contents of all emails on my server side Inbox into the Inbox (On my computer) again, no biggie.

The first rule functioned fine, for a while, but then started simply applying the category to almost all of my incoming emails. Meanwhile, the second rule started behaving very bad indeed. For some unbeknownst reason, my incoming emails started to be randomly placed in either my server side Inbox **OR** into my On My Computer Inbox.

I immediatedly unchecked the rules, but with no effect. I then deleted the rules, again to no avail. I then deleted the "Rules" file under my account---again, STILL nothing.

From there, I deleted my Entourage preferences, repaired the permissions and even cleared the Entourage cache. STILL the rules kept on running. So, out of desperation, I reinstalled Entourage, but did NOT keep the old identity.

To my chagrin, would you believe the RULES are STILL (!!!) running.

MY PRAYER: Holy gods of the Email Realm---DELIVER ME or at the very least, deliver my emails to their proper dominion once more, Puleeeezz!

Any help greatly appreciated!

D

Diane Ross

Any help greatly appreciated!

Be sure to check the Mailing List Manager rules first, then check under
the correct tab in Rules to delete.

There are 3 different kind of rules in Entourage:

Mailing List Manager (MLM)
Junk Mail Filter
Rules (custom rules you create)

They run in the order listed above. The custom rules also run in the
order they are listed. (top runs first)

Each type of account has it's own rules. Click on the correct tab to
check your rules. (Mail (POP), Mail (IMAP) Mail (Exchange), News, Outgoing)

(Windows Live Hotmail is now POP)

See "Using Rules with Entourage" for help and examples:

<http://entourage.mvps.org/rules/index.html>

BTW, you rule to give a certain person a category could best be done by
assigning the category to the person's contact in the Entourage Address
Book.

Ask a Question