Editing chart data

J

Joshua

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I created a chart in PPT, which launched an excel window for editing the data. Everything went smoothly, up until I tried to edit the chart data again. It keeps telling me that it can't find the excel file and that I need to repair the link somehow. Since I never actually created an excel file, I don't know what to do.

The column chart was created in PPT and is saved as a PPT not a PPTX file. Other charts I've made within PPT launch Excel for editing the data in them just fine, only this chart. I don't want to waste another hour recreating and formatting the chart, especially if this could happen again.

The chart obviously still has access to the data table from which it was created, at least to a certain extent. I can still select individual parts of the chart, as it isn't saved as an image or anything that would normally prevent editing. Attempting to open it in Office 2004 ended up with a flat image instead of an editable table.

Is there a way to force the chart to reveal the data it has obviously saved about the chart like the rest of my charts do? Or am I out an hours worth of work because PPT is forgetful.

Ask a Question