Entourage 2004 to iCal sync times of day don't match

W

W_G

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: pop

I regularly sync from Entourage to iCal so that I can sync my appointments to my iPhone. Since upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard, the times of some (but not all) appointments in Entourage 2004appear 1 hour earlier in iCal. Apparently this had to do with the way Entourage handles time. It would seem to have fixed in Entourage 2008 but apparently not with Entourage 2004.
Read this from MacFixit:
<http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10360757-263.html?tag=mncol>
So as you can see, I am not alone. I have tried their suggestions and they don't work.
Does anyone have any ideas on on how to work around this? I know I could buy Office 2008 and would if Office 2008 supported Visual Basic macros. I really don't want to switch to iCal as my standard calendar but just might have to do that.

C

Corentin Cras-Méneur

I regularly sync from Entourage to iCal so that I can sync my
appointments to my iPhone. Since upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard,
the times of some (but not all) appointments in Entourage 2004appear 1
hour earlier in iCal.

Do you have time zone support enabled in both Entourage and iCal??

Corentin

W

W_G

Yes in both. That was when I noticed the problem. Then I turned it off in iCal. No difference. The strange thing is that not all times are shifted. I am in British Standard Time and the shift (when it occurs) seems to be to GMT. Any ideas?

W

W_G

Yes in both. That was when I noticed the problem. Then I turned it off in iCal. No difference. The strange thing is that not all times are shifted. I am in British Standard Time and the shift (when it occurs) seems to be to GMT. Any ideas?

There's a bit more on this. If the time zone in Entourage 2004 is GMT then this is entered into iCal as "United Kingdom Time" and is shifted back 1 hour so that 12.00 in Entourage is 11.00 in iCal. However I received a booking appointment from BA that is 15.50 in both iCal and Entourage. The time zone in iCal is "Western European Time" and the Time Zone in Entourage (time zone set by BA) is "Casablanca". That is strange.

W

W_G

There's a bit more on this. If the time zone in Entourage 2004 is GMT then this is entered into iCal as "United Kingdom Time" and is shifted back 1 hour so that 12.00 in Entourage is 11.00 in iCal. However I received a booking appointment from BA that is 15.50 in both iCal and Entourage. The time zone in iCal is "Western European Time" and the Time Zone in Entourage (time zone set by BA) is "Casablanca". That is strange.

And even more. Seems that Entourage has a GMT+1 (BST) time setting that Entourage 2004 doesn't. How do I know? I bought Office 2008. It's a lot of money for this one line of code and to maintain Exchange support. But then I can now sink accurately with my iPhone; and Entourage 2008 is kind of cool. Anyway, Microsoft probably needs the money so that they can properly develop Excel in the next release to bring back VBA macros and a proper print preview. I have kept Office 2004 for the real business work. Phew!! Consider this case closed.

Ask a Question