Office stopped working after the auto-update a few months ago

L

Laura_P

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Microsoft Office stopped working after it ran an auto-update a few months ago. Now, when I open any of the Office apps, I get an error message like this: "Check with the developer to make sure Microsoft Word works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

There are no available updates for Mac OS X or Office that I am aware of—when I run the Software Update it doesn't turn anything up.

Looks like I'm going to have to reinstall, right? Is it possible that the upgrade I installed a few months ago just didn't install properly, and will work if I upgrade again once I reinstall? Or should I just avoid upgrading once I reinstall?

L

Laura_P

One more thing, I just noticed this in the Problem Report:

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/MicrosoftComponentPlugin.framework/Versions/12/MicrosoftComponentPlugin
  Referenced from: /Applications/Microsoft Office 2008/Microsoft Word.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Word
  Reason: image not found

D

Diane_Ross_MVP

On 5/20/10 12:32 PM, in article [email protected], "[email protected]" wrote:

Update! I found an 800 number for Microsoft and called it. Apparently there was an Office folder in my Applications that should have been in the Microsoft Office 2008 folder. I must've saved something to the wrong spot when I updated. I moved the folder to the proper location and problem solved.

Office applications look in specific places for info and if they get moved, everything goes kerpluy. Glad you found what was wrong.

Moving the Microsoft User Data folder is a very common problem and users report Entourage opened in a new Identity. It’s easy to fix by moving it back.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page   
Entourage Help Blog  
YouTalk

Ask a Question