open dialog fails, PP freezes

P

paul-ny

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

When I try to "insert movie from file," what should be a dialog box to navigate to the file shows up as an infinitely wide window featuring only the vertical bars that separate the columns of the Finder's Column View, and nothing else. This window has no way to cancel or close it, and at the same time PowerPoint becomes unresponsive, and can only be force quit. The same thing happens when I try to open a file from PowerPoint's File/Open menu.

Could this be an incompatibility between PP 2004 and OS 10.5? It didn't happen in my G4 PowerBook, which ran 10.4, and I don't know if it has always done this on my new MacBook Pro. I trashed all Microsoft Preferences, and also reinstalled PowerPoint, but nothing changed.

Any advice, please?

P

paul-ny

I figured out the answer myself.

I discovered that I wasn't seeing a blank, infinitely wide Open dialog, I was seeing a dialog box that was about thirty times the width of my screen. I dragged the window so far to the right that I finally saw that it had contents at the left edge of it; I was able to click the green resizing button for the window, and after that PP seems to be remembering the proper window size. True in both File/open and Insert/movies and sounds/movie from file.

P

paul-ny

The above reply is obviously spam; I just logged in in order to see if I could mark the thread as answered, in that I answered it myself yesterday, without logging in, so I checked the "answered" box for the existing second posting and clicked "publish". I didn't write anything. All of a sudden there was this third, disgusting posting under my name. Does this mean there's rotten stuff in my computer? Or what? And if so, what can I do about it? I'd appreciate an opinion.

S

Steve Rindsberg

The above reply is obviously spam; I just logged in in order to see if I could
mark the thread as answered, in that I answered it myself yesterday, without
logging in, so I checked the "answered" box for the existing second posting and
clicked "publish". I didn't write anything. All of a sudden there was this third,
disgusting posting under my name. Does this mean there's rotten stuff in my
computer? Or what? And if so, what can I do about it? I'd appreciate an opinion.

I'd guess it's already been deleted. I downloaded all new messages at around 11:00
am US EST and don't see the spam message you mention.

================================================
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

P

paul-ny

Steve--
this is odd, too. I can still see the bad reply; and it's not I'm seeing a cached version of the page, since I can see your posting.

I'm going to try to recreate this problem; I'll have to post a new question and then go back and click that it's answered; otherwise I can't Publish something without filling in a text field.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Steve--
this is odd, too. I can still see the bad reply; and it's not I'm seeing a cached
version of the page, since I can see your posting.
I'm going to try to recreate this problem; I'll have to post a new question and
then go back and click that it's answered; otherwise I can't Publish something
without filling in a text field.

If you use these "forums" much, you might want to try accessing them via an nntp
newsreader as well. They're (at least for the nonce) web pages built atop a
newsgroup. Sometimes the "web pages built atop" part doesn't work so well. <g>

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Ask a Question