Password protected DOCX and Mac OS X Server

B

burta

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

We installed a new Mac OS X Server 10.5.6, all Clients also uses 10.5.6. Right now we have strange problems with opening MS Word 2008 documents that are password protected against opening. All these documents opens up a dialog in MS Word, where you have to choose "convert file" out of a list "MS-DOS File; RTF-File, etc." When copying this DOCX File to the local desktop of the cients computer everything works fine and the password dialog comes up and you can use the Document. DOCX Documents without password protection works normal on OS X Server. Only DOCX Documents seems to be problematic, because I also tried so save the "traditional" DOC Format (with password protection) and these Documents also works fine.
So maybe anybody also have noticed this problem and knows a fix for it? Thanks & best Regards.

N

nsafford

I've met (and reported) this issue too. Passworded .docx (or .docm) files lead to a Convert File dialog when opened from an afp or smb share. However, .doc files open fine.

We're using Word 2008 12.1.9 running on 10.5.7, Mac OS X Server 10.5.7 with the relevant share shared by both AFP and samba. I had a hunch it might be related to permissions issues so I explored a few situations re permissions: on AFP I've tried using folders that have no access via posix (with an allow via ACLs) and folders that allow me full read-write access via posix (with no ACL over-rides). It makes no difference. I also did it on a server that does not have samba turned on - same result.

Ask a Question