saving .pptx files to .ppt greatly increases file size

M

MeganAnne

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I created a 13-slide presentation in PowerPoint 08 for Mac and ended up with a perfectly acceptable 856 KB file. I need to share it with Windows users (as well as upload to a Drupal site, which does not accept .pptx). I saved it as a .ppt, and the file size ballooned to 6.1 MB. It's a very simple presentation and the only graphics are from the template I am using.
Here's what I've tried:
--I tried to save it as a .ppt originally (before ever saving it as a .pptx), but it crashed and I lost everything--the backups didn't even come up.
--Sent the .pptx file (<1 MB) to a friend with a Windows box. He saved it to .ppt but got 6 MB file size.
--saved the .pptx as a pdf (6 MB), then used pdf optimizer to downscale and compress the images. No joy--same file size.
--Someone here suggested saving as PostScript file then running through Distiller. That managed to double the size, to 12 MB.

My lame-ass workaround? I saved the slides as images, then placed them on a Word doc.

What am I missing? It's a huge problem for me, since I create PPs for Windows people all the time. I'm thinking of re-installing the old version.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I created a 13-slide presentation in PowerPoint 08 for Mac and ended up with a
perfectly acceptable 856 KB file. I need to share it with Windows users (as well as
upload to a Drupal site, which does not accept .pptx). I saved it as a .ppt, and the
file size ballooned to 6.1 MB. It's a very simple presentation and the only graphics
are from the template I am using.
Here's what I've tried:
--I tried to save it as a .ppt originally (before ever saving it as a .pptx), but
it crashed and I lost everything--the backups didn't even come up.
--Sent the .pptx file (<1 MB) to a friend with a Windows box. He saved it to .ppt but got 6 MB file size.
--saved the .pptx as a pdf (6 MB), then used pdf optimizer to downscale and
compress the images. No joy--same file size.
--Someone here suggested saving as PostScript file then running through Distiller.
That managed to double the size, to 12 MB.
My lame-ass workaround? I saved the slides as images, then placed them on a Word doc.

What am I missing? It's a huge problem for me, since I create PPs for Windows
people all the time. I'm thinking of re-installing the old version.
Have a look here:

Staying compatible with earlier versions of PowerPoint
http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00966.htm

================================================
Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

M

MeganAnne

Using the Open XML converter didn't have any effect on the file size--it still went from 900 KB (pptx) to 6.5 MB (ppt).

However, I now know why the file size increases: "Avoid using the new 2007/2008 effects––When you save back to earlier file formats, PowerPoint must convert any of the new glow, shadow and similar effects to images, because the earlier versions of PowerPoint don't support these effects. Images always involve more data than simple text and shapes, so your file sizes will grow." (from <http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00966.htm)>

If I can't use the new effects, I fail to see the value of using 08 for Mac. I'm reinstalling the old version.

C

CyberTaz

Hi MeganAnne;

Just an FYI: I can appreciate how you feel & have no reason to "sell you" on
Office 2008 :), but nobody using Win Office 2000 / Mac Office X or later
should have a problem with OXML format. There are certain cross-platform
issues that have to be taken into consideration, but that always has been &
always will be the case.

I don't know anything about this "site" you refer to or why it doesn't
accept the current native format of the most dominant software developer in
the world - and in use for nearly 2 years - but Windows & Mac users who have
kept their software updated have been provided free converters for OXML.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

M

MeganAnne

.... and in a perfect world, everyone *would* keep their software updated. I do a lot of my work in the education field, where my clients don't or can't stay current on updates. Add to that the difficulty with Drupal and I really have no choice but to go backward. Drupal, by the way, is an open source framework for web content management that is very widely used. I appreciate your comments, though.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Using the Open XML converter didn't have any effect on the file size--it still
went from 900 KB (pptx) to 6.5 MB (ppt).

No ... it's doing more or less the same thing as happens in PPT 2007/2008 when you
save backwards.
However, I now know why the file size increases: "Avoid using the new 2007/2008
effects––When you save back to earlier file formats, PowerPoint must convert any
of the new glow, shadow and similar effects to images, because the earlier
versions of PowerPoint don't support these effects. Images always involve more
data than simple text and shapes, so your file sizes will grow." (from
If I can't use the new effects, I fail to see the value of using 08 for Mac. I'm
reinstalling the old version.

Steve Rindsberg, PPT MVP
PPT FAQ: www.pptfaq.com
PPTools: www.pptools.com

Ask a Question