Slow file loading and calculation

C

CraigM

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

I've recently upgraded to 2008 from 2004 running on either a dual processor 2 GHz G5 or single processor (laptop) 1.5 GHz G4.

I have three excel sheets that are associated with timetabling. Two of them are data entry files with many pages and with limited internal links. The third sheet collates the data from the first two and calculates a series of values mostly associated with the presence of particular strings in the first two sheets.

On 2004 these sheets opened within a few seconds and calculation took perhaps 10 to 15 s (which I thought a bit much).

However, in 2008 opening the main file in .xlsx format takes about 40 min on the G5 and I've not been game to try it on the G4. Saving the files in .xlsb is a little faster: 25 min or so on the G5, and about 60 min on the G4.

Calculation on either platform takes an unconscionable time as well: perhaps 2 to 3 min.

Clearly something is not well, but I don't know how to find out the problem. I've tried reducing the maximum number of iterations but there is no clear improvement. I'm assuming some kind of futile cycle is going on as the file is opened.

I've tried the compatibility checker in case there was something there, but all I get is unhelpful messages that the form of the links is Mac which might cause Windows problems. Quite what you're supposed to DO about that isn't explained.

Similarly, links to pages in the same workbook are flagged as links to closed workbooks. This is mad and maddening and unfixable as far as I can tell.

We've opened and modified the same files on 2007 under Vista and performance is just fine (and what I'm looking for on my Mac).

I'm more than happy to supply the files to anyone who might be able to help.

Many thanks,

Craig

P

Pat McMillan

Hi Craig,

If you could somehow get the files to me to investigate it would be a huge
help ([email protected]). One thing to check: Have you tried saving the
affected files after they finally load? Excel does a check on load to see if
it's on the same platform and architecture as the last time it was loaded.
If the platform or architecture is different, then it recalcs the entire
workbook. This could account for the huge discrepancy between 2004 and 2008
(or it could just be a bug). Getting access to files with this problem would
be a huge help.

Thanks,

Pat

Ask a Question