Still searching for an answer to bibliography problem

R

rwdavis1220

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I saw an earlier post about a user seeing Uxbek characters "йил" in their Word bibliography. I didn't see an appropriate solution posted and the thread is no longer active, so I'm trying it again...

I use the Word bibliography feature to insert the references I make to various documents in academic papers (APA style). I frequently collaborate with fellow students, sharing Word files and merging them to produce a group project. I say this because I never had this problem until I started merging in these other papers with mine.

I created several references in a document. I used all the default settings and just entered text (no XML, HTML, etc) into the fields provided. Before the merging, I got normal US dates, after the merging, I get a YYYY йил MMMM-dd format.

The earlier responses seemed to think that the user wanted to translate the Uzbek into English. I do not! I didn't enter these spurious characters (йил) and I'd prefer to get rid of them and prevent Word from inserting them ever again. I also did not choose the date format and would really like to get back to the original mm/dd/yyyy format.

I suspect this is some sort of corruption introduced to one of my colleagues' systems and now spreading to others as we collaborate.

Is there an immediate fix? When I edit the source citation, the characters йил do not appear in any of the fields, so I can't delete them. If I edit them out of the document, Word reinserts them when I update the fields at print time.

Thanks, in advance, for help in correcting the problem.

R

rwdavis1220

Interesting twist on this situation. Yesterday I edited a paper and included both "older" references (originally entered for another paper and reused in this one) as well as new references added yesterday. The older references came with the Uzbek characters and reformatted dates, but the new ones didn't. I printed the document yesterday and the new ones even printed OK. Today, I continued working on the paper and noticed that the new references from yesterday had now taken on the Uzbek defect. Can this be triggered by the date retrieved?

R

rwdavis1220

Thanks for the help DBA. Since I am writing papers for a Master's program, and they require the APA style, this may not be a solution. I'll check them out to see if one is "close enough", but...

Ask a Question