Style names lost when copy/pasting

Lup

Reaction score
I have an annoying problem when copy/pasting from one document to another.
I have two documents, both created from the same template and using only styles present in that template.
Doing a "Retain source formatting" copy of text from one document to the other the style is is certainly retained but the name of the style is lost.
An example:
In document X I have Pargraph A formatted with "BodyText2" and Paragraph B with "Body Text2 indented".
I copy/paste both pargraphs into document Y( which already contains pargraps formatted with the two above styles).
The two new paragraphs in Y now both have "Normal" as the name of their styles. Closer inspection reveals that two new styles based on Normal have been created, exact copies of "BodyText2" and "BodyText2 indented"
Why is the already present style with the right name rejected? Or more to the point, what can I do to get rid of this annoying behaviour?

-Lup

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Are you including the paragraph breaks in what you're copying? Without them, you're not copying the paragraph Styles.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
In that case, check Word's settings for 'pasting between documents when style definitions conflict'. What setting do you have there? The effect you're seeing may be due to the documents having those styles defined differently.

Lup

Reaction score
Have checked the settings. They were different and I reset them to the recommended values. But the problem still persists!

To get some easily repeatable testcases I made the following
Created the from scratch Document A and Document B, both created from the same template.
Wrote three one-line paragraphs into Document A.
Copied those lines one by one, and as a group, into Document B. All Ok
Copied once more, still ok.

Did Ctrl+Z.
Copied again (using original still in scratchpad). Failure! Right format but names lost.

Repeated process on a fresh copy of Doument B
Copied the lines one by one but did copy line 2 last, making it physically the next-to-last line on Document B.
Ctrl+Z
Trying to copy in line two again failed, again with right format but without name.
Note: The style name is lost only for the last copy operation, the other lines retain proper stylenames.

Repeated the above but instead of using Ctrl+Z i erased line 2.
No problem in copying in line 2 again.

Using a previously written short story as testtext I copied longer and longer chunks of text starting the from the last line of the document and working upwards. Everything went well until I included the chapter header. With the header included I lost the all the style names for the copied text. I have not studied that case closer yet and just include it here as an example of the weird behaviour I'm facing.

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
Perhaps one (or both) of the documents has acquired some of corruption. Corrupt documents can often be 'repaired' by inserting a new, empty, paragraph at the very end, copying everything except that new paragraph to a new document based on the same template - assuming it isn't the source of the corruption - (headers & footers may need to be copied separately), closing the old document and saving the new one over it.

Lup

Reaction score
To eliminate all corruptions I made the following test:
Created a new blank document based on Normal
Wrote three lines of text, Header One, Header Two and Header Three
Formatted the three lines/paragraphs as below:
Header One with standard Header2 + Numbering, named the style Header2n
Header Two with standard Header2
Headr Three with standard Header2 modified to red, named style Header2s

Created a second blank document
Copy/pasted Header One from first document to document two: Style name changed to Normal
Copy/Pasted Header Two and Header Three: Style names were retained
Copy/Pasted all three lines: All three had their style names changed to Normal
Copy/Pasted Header Two and Header Three: Style names were retained
Did a Ctrl+Z
Copy/Pasted Header Two and Header Three: Style names were changed to Normal
(After this all copy/paste operations resulted in a loss of style names)

The conclusion is that on my two systems(64 bit Win 10 pro and 32 bit Win7, 32 bit Office on both) copy/paste loses the style name if a numbered header is included in the copy operation (I tested with the numbered header last in the batch too!) and further a Ctrl-Z operation permanently(?) corrupts the target document in such a way that style names are always lost.

I find it hard to believe this to be a previously undiscovered bug in Office 2013, more likely is some weird setup problem in my systems but is difficult to believe too as it is a question of two fairly dissimiliar systems.
I'm running out of ideas!
-Lup

Ask a Question