Unicode special characters not found

N

Nick_P

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Hello -
I'm just starting to use Office 2008 for Mac. I need to use Old English (Anglo-Saxon) and Norse characters in Word documents. Normally these are available via Insert > symbol, but there are very few symbols that show up - even fewer than the much older Office X for OS X that I was using before. Does Office 2008 for Mac support unicode fonts fully? I've tried enabling different keyboards etc but I can't work out what the problem is. In Mac's own Pages documents, it's easy to see a much wider range of characters, via something called ?character palette.
Any help much appreciated!

T

thg

You need to use the Character Viewer. Go to system prefs/language & text/input sources and check the box for Keyboard and Character Viewer, plus the box for Show Input Menu in Finder. Then you should be able to call it up from the "flag" menu at the top right of the Finder and find and input any Unicode character that you have a font for.

N

Nick_P

Checked it now and it's working great. I'd foolishly never explored the menu behind the little keyboard flag in that corner of the screen! Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question