Using Styles In An Outline

Reaction score
I am trying to make what is probably a poorly designed document usable for my purposes. The document I inherited is basically in the form of an outline. The first two levels of the outline, e.g. 1. and 1.1. are being used to create a Table of Contents. These are formatted as Heading 1 and Heading 2. I've inserted a new page and started an outline as section 2 and formatted it as Heading 1. However, if I hit enter it doesn't automatically create the next outline entry. If I modify Heading 1 to use List Number as the style for the following paragraph it starts at 1. Even if I tell that entry to 'continue from previous list' it doesn't go to 2.1 or even 3. If I use Tab it just moves the 1. farther to the right. I've scoured the Web and the only thing I've seen is to 'set left- and first-indent with tabs and backspaces' to on. This is already done, so I'm at a loss. Help!

Ask a Question