What's with inserting a pdf graphic into a Word document?

U

uernst08

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: intel

Working with Word 2008 on either a .docx or .doc file, I keep having problem inserting pdf graphic which I just created in Excel. Word will tell me that it doesn't recognize the file format. I terminate Word, reopen, and voila! the graphic can be imported without problems. Am I missing something?

C

CyberTaz

My first inclination is to think you've been bitten by a seemingly illogical
bug:) But once you are aware of it it's easy enough to circumvent.

That error is generated any time you attempt to insert *any* type of Picture
(other than ClipArt, I believe) while the Styles section of the Formatting
Palette is displayed... Go figure:)

To avoid it either make sure the Styles section isn't expanded or use the
Toolbox - Object Palette - Photos if the image is in your iPhoto Library or
a suitable Picture folder (the latter method is very restrictive on what you
can insert).

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

U

uernst08

Thanks much for the response. I now have a different problem--the screen shows the pdf files (which are Excel graphics saved as pdf files), but they don't print. The space just shows up as blank. It did print yesterday, but not today. I'll diddle around with the Styles section to see whether that changes anything.

C

CyberTaz

I doubt the Formatting Palette has anything to do with this one:)

Check in Word> Preferences> Print to make sure that there is a check in the
boxes for "Drawing Objects" and for "Print background colors & Images". What
do you see in Word's Print Preview and in Apple's Preview app?

If that doesn't rectify it you might also check to make sure that your
printer driver is updated for Leopard - there seems to be a lot of issues
with various printers not being fully/properly supported in Leopard.

C

Christine Kudija

Try inserting a text box - and THEN inserting the pdf or jpg graphic. Go figure - I'd been experiencing the same problem, where the graphic jpg or pdf would appear on the screen in my document but not in the print preview pane, and would not print.

I checked another image in the doc that had been inserted by my company's wp staff - which DID show up in the preview pane - and discovered (somewhat to my chagrin, b/c I hadn't looked before) that it had been inserted into a text box. So I created two text boxes for the two images that were problematic, cut the images, pasted them back into the text boxes - and voila, there they were, printable. <http://www.officeformac.com/Images/e/eyeroll.gif>

GO FIGURE (pun probably intended). There's something weird here that should not require this fix. However, it works for me now. :eyeroll:

C

Christine Kudija

Try inserting a text box - and THEN inserting the pdf or jpg graphic. Go figure - I'd been experiencing the same problem, where the graphic jpg or pdf would appear on the screen in my document but not in the print preview pane, and would not print.
I checked another image in the doc that had been inserted by my company's wp staff - which DID show up in the preview pane - and discovered (somewhat to my chagrin, b/c I hadn't looked before) that it had been inserted into a text box. So I created two text boxes for the two images that were problematic, cut the images, pasted them back into the text boxes - and voila, there they were, printable. <http://www.officeformac.com/Images/e/eyeroll.gif>

GO FIGURE (pun probably intended). There's something weird here that should not require this fix. However, it works for me now. :eyeroll:

P.S. I did this AFTER checking the "background images" as instructed above, AND re-installing my Photosmart printer driver without success. Double eyeroll.

U

Ulrich Ernst

This is a bit of a weird bug. When the style tab in the Formatting palette is open, Word won't import a pdf file, but when you close that tab, it works. Beats me what the connection is, but it works for now. Hope this gets fixed in the next update.

M

Michel Bintener

This specific bug should have been fixed in SP1; do you still see the error?
I can insert/drag a PDF file into a Word 2008 (v.12.1) document with the
Styles section open, and everything works as expected, i.e. the PDF file
gets inserted without any problems.

This is a bit of a weird bug. When the style tab in the Formatting palette is
open, Word won't import a pdf file, but when you close that tab, it works.
Beats me what the connection is, but it works for now. Hope this gets fixed in
the next update.

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP
Office:mac (Entourage & Word)

*** Please always reply to the newsgroup. ***

C

CyberTaz

Hi Michel -
This specific bug should have been fixed in SP1
<snip>

Just adding confirmation, SP1 does correct the graphic insertion problem
regardless of image file type. It's the first thing I verified when I
installed the update. Perhaps the poster hasn't updated to 12.1 as yet.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

U

Ulrich Ernst

Yes, you're right. I have 12.1 and I just checked ... mea culpa--I just got into the habit of closing the Styles tab that I didn't realize the fix.

R

RoseMarie Miller

C

CyberTaz

Hello RoseMarie -

In tacking this on to an existing message as a reply we have no idea what
your intent might have been.Further, you've added nothing by way of content
so there's no indication of what the message concerns.

If you're seeking assistance please submit a NEW message with an appropriate
subject. Be sure to include all particulars: full indication of OS & Office
versions, complete description of the problem as well as any efforts you've
made to correct the situation & the results of those efforts.

We're here to help but we need *something* to work with:)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

Ask a Question