Word Save Problem Since Snow Leopard Upgrade - read-only

C

crazy_african

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Share is on Windows Server 2003. Documents are .docx format. I can open the document, add a few characters and save the document. The save works, but the document, still open, becomes (Read-Only) and tells me that in the title bar. I cannot save again. I can quit Word, open the docx again, but it is still read only. I can open the document from a Windows machine and save all I want.

I can restore the ability to save from my mac by doing ANY one of the following:
1. Disconnect the share and reconnect.
2. Select the docx in the finder, Get Info on the file and close the get info window. (not making any changes, just looking at the info)
3. Run "ls -l" on the document location from a Terminal window.

Running ls -l returns the following permissions on the file in question:
----------@ 1 username staff

That is enough to let you save again, but only once. Saving once will turn the docx into a read-only document again. Doing an ls -l twice will show the permissions that are set for that file, as shown below:

MyShare $ ls -l
----------@ 1 username staff MyDocument.docx
MyShare $ ls -l
-rwxrwxr-x@ 1 username staff MyDocument.docx

This problem does not happen with xlsx or pptx files. There are different issues for Powerpoint and Excel when opening a ppt or xls file and trying to save as ppt or xls using Office 2008 applications. In that case, excel blows the file away completely, while powerpoint just says that the file is currently in use and Powerpoint cannot modify it at this time. Wait until the files become available. Those are separate issues though.

Ask a Question