Workaround found for update prob to 12.1.4

K

Kerryd

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: imap

When 12.1.4 ran to update my 12.1.3 all volumes were blocked and it said there wasn't the right software for an update. I found the following workaround at MacFixit and it works perfectly:

11/04/08: This is where when you run the installer all volumes are not accepted for update. The following fixes the problem:

----------------

Thanks to all those in this forum and the mactopia forums for posting the older 12.1.2 fix! With some minor tweaks, this fix worked for me on both the 12.1.3. and 12.1.4 updates.

I just want to add some steps for newbies or those who tried this and couldn't quite get it to work initially(like me). It is important the "package_updatable" file give you permissions to overwrite and save.
---
1. Download the Office 2008 update .dmg file.
1a. Mount the .dmg file on your desktop by double-clicking it.
1b. When the Office 2008 update window opens, drag the icon for the update to your desktop, it will take a sec to copy over. Close this window when it is done copying and you see Update file on your desktop.
1c. Unmount the .dmg file by either right-click on .dmg file, choose "Eject ...", or eject/unmount in Finder.
2. Right-click on the Updater file on your desktop and choose "Show Package Contents".
3. Navigate to Contents folder, then Resources folder. Find the file named: package_updatable.
3a. Highlight the package_updatable file and right-click, choose "Get Info."
3b. When Info window pops open, click on padlock in lower right corner. Another window asking for your admin. password will pop up, type in your admin password and padlock should unlock with that satisfying open vault sound!
3d. In Info window click on gray triangle to show Sharing & Permissions. You need to change Privilege for your Admin. account from "Read only" to "Read & Write," click on up/down triangles to do this.
3d. Click on padlock to lock file and close window.
4. Highlight the package_updatable file and right-click, choose "Open With" then "Other ..." Click thru (ignore) the warning about opening Unix files. The Application folder in the Finder will be open, scroll down and choose TextEdit.
4a. TextEdit will have opened the file. Scroll down to find the following lines and delete them:
---
if not found_valid_version:
sys.exit(48)
---
In the File menu of TextEdit, choose Save. The file should close. Close the Finder.
5. Double-click on Office 2008 update file on your desktop. Follow on-screen update instructions as normal and hopefully that's it.
6. Re-boot, open up Office 2008 Apps and get on with your life!

P.S. To install 12.1.4, I found you need to install 12.1.3 first using the above steps, re-boot, and then use the above steps before installing 12.1.4, and re-boot. So far, it's working fine for me.

I didn't have this problem with my previous Office 2008 updates, but I have frequently used Monolingual to remove excess language files from my hard drive to save space. But that seems to be effecting these Office updates so I guess I may stop that practice, luckily my current HD has plenty of space for now ... I am running OSX 10.5.5 on an Intel 2.5GHz MacBook Pro.

Hope this helps and can't wait for the 12.1.5 update!

J

Jerry

My updates up to 12.1.2 have worked and that's the version I'm at now. I just downloaded the 12.1.4 update and when I ran it, I got the red alert on my one and only volume with the message that no software could be found to update.

Just wanted to confirm that I'm seeing this problem too and I've never done anything like Monolingual..whatever that is.

D

Diane Ross

Jerry said:
My updates up to 12.1.2 have worked and that's the version I'm at now. I just
downloaded the 12.1.4 update and when I ran it, I got the red alert on my one
and only volume with the message that no software could be found to update.

The 12.1.4 update requires that 12.1.3 be installed.

J

Jerry

:

My updates up to 12.1.2 have worked and that's the version I'm at now.
I just > downloaded the 12.1.4 update and when I ran it, I got the red
alert on my one > and only volume with the message that no software could
be found to update.

The 12.1.4 update requires that 12.1.3 be installed.

-- Diane

Well isn't that the craziest thing. The whole reason I download the update instead of letting my installed Microsoft AutoUpdate do it is because the AutoUpdate has never worked on my Mac with MacOffice 2008 and when I try it now, it just hangs forever saying it's "checking for updates".

If the 12.1.4 update requires 12.1.3, then why doesn't it just tell me that when I run it?

For the past year, the overall impression I've gotten from the Microsoft MacOffice 2008 Updates is that "it just don't work" as opposed to the Mac motto of "it just works."

D

Diane Ross

Jerry said:
Well isn't that the craziest thing. The whole reason I download the update
instead of letting my installed Microsoft AutoUpdate do it is because the
AutoUpdate has never worked on my Mac with MacOffice 2008 and when I try it
now, it just hangs forever saying it's "checking for updates".

We haven't been getting reports of problems with the MAU not working. Check
the version of MAU. It should be 2.2.0.

The Office 2008 MAU is now hidden away.

/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0
If the 12.1.4 update requires 12.1.3, then why doesn't it just tell me that
when I run it?

First, please keep in mind that these newsgroups are peer-to-peer. There
isn't much we can do. The best way is to send feedback to Microsoft.

When working in Office, you can use the ³Send Feedback² option under the
Help menu in all of the Office applications.

Ask a Question