"Error 5550: Unable to Relay..." Entourage clients can't send email anymore

P

pheidippides

MacAdmins:
For those who manage MAC systems in a windows/exchange world, this one goes out to you:

Scenario
Since about the last week of July, my MAC OS X Clients haven't been able to send emails through our Exchange 2000 server.
All of them use Office v.X, Entourage, which worked quite nicely until our Exchange server started clogging regularly about once every 30 hours.

The error message
The error all of my MAC clients get is this...
Error:
A message in your Outbox could not be sent using account "johnny - Exchange Account".
The server did not recognize the recipients or the server refuses to allow you to send mail.

Explanation:
5.7.1 Unable to relay for (e-mail address removed)

Error 5550

Related Problems:
As previously stated, my exchange server repeatedly gets clogged about once every 30 hours on average. it starts piling up with SMTP emails, usually SPAM (they do get filtered by our SPAM filter yet they still need to get processed which means they will go through the exchange server). Now, I've got a SmallBussiness SMTP Connector in place set to Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector with the local bridgehead enabled for my exchange server's Default SMTP Virtual Server. The Address Space is set for SMTP of type * at a cost of 1.

Now I've seen a few articles across the wire dealing with my entoruage SMTP relay problems but haven't found a real fix. if you have any good info to pass along, then please send 'em this way.

Many thanks,
Paul G. Dorn
Seismicom MIS

P

pheidippides

Re: "Error 5550: Unable to Relay..." Entourage clients can't send email anymoreDiane,
I agreed all around that this issue is definately related to SMTP relaying.
The interesting part is that
1) I've changed the username to (e-mail address removed)
2) Checked the server to allow for SMTP relaying

The MAC clients still can't send.
This is a royal pain in the ass..

Thanks for your tips so far...

*paul*

Error 5550

Check the Error Page for explanation and solution.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/page.html#error5550>

P

pheidippides

Is there a way to work around this problem by switching from Entourage-Exchange to Entourage-IMAP?
MacAdmins:
For those who manage MAC systems in a windows/exchange world, this one goes out to you:

Scenario
Since about the last week of July, my MAC OS X Clients haven't been able to send emails through our Exchange 2000 server.
All of them use Office v.X, Entourage, which worked quite nicely until our Exchange server started clogging regularly about once every 30 hours.

The error message
The error all of my MAC clients get is this...
Error:
A message in your Outbox could not be sent using account "johnny - Exchange Account".
The server did not recognize the recipients or the server refuses to allow you to send mail.

Explanation:

Error 5550

Related Problems:
As previously stated, my exchange server repeatedly gets clogged about once every 30 hours on average. it starts piling up with SMTP emails, usually SPAM (they do get filtered by our SPAM filter yet they still need to get processed which means they will go through the exchange server). Now, I've got a SmallBussiness SMTP Connector in place set to Use DNS to route to each address space on this connector with the local bridgehead enabled for my exchange server's Default SMTP Virtual Server. The Address Space is set for SMTP of type * at a cost of 1.

Now I've seen a few articles across the wire dealing with my entoruage SMTP relay problems but haven't found a real fix. if you have any good info to pass along, then please send 'em this way.

Many thanks,
Paul G. Dorn
Seismicom MIS

P

pheidippides

Re: "Error 5550: Unable to Relay..." Entourage clients can't send email anymoreDiane (and others):

The problem:
Error:

Explanation:

Error 5550

The Solution:
1) Change your MAC clients for manual IP addressing making sure you set the correct SNM, GW, DNS and Domain info
2) Now on the server, Exchnage 2000 or better make changes to accomodate these specific MAC clients for both IMAP and SMTP
* In Exchange Manager *
a) right click on "Default IMAP Virtual Server" and select "properties"
b) go to the "Access" tab and press the "Connection..." button
c) Press "Add..." and type in the IP address of each MAC client
d) make sure to press the "DNS Lookup" button to check for correct computer name resolution
e) Press "OK", then "OK", then "Apply" then "OK
d) <do the same thing for every MAC client>

e) right click on "Default SMTP Virtual Server"
f) Go to the "Access Tab" and press the "Relay" button
g) Press the "Add" button and type in the IP address of the specific MAC
h) Make sure to press the "DNS Lookup" button to check for correct computer name resolution
i) Press "OK", then "OK", then "Apply" then "OK"
j) <do the same thing for every MAC client>
3) Now configure Entourage as you would for Exchange

Following these steps ensures that Mac OS X clients running Entourage v.X will connect to an exchange server. Especially as a fix if they are unable to send email via the Exchange SMTP mail server

Best Regards,
Paul G. Dorn

Error 5550

Check the Error Page for explanation and solution.

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/page.html#error5550>

D

Diane Ross

Is there a way to work around this problem by switching from
Entourage-Exchange to Entourage-IMAP?

Should be easy to check out. Please let us know if it works so I can post a
solution.

Ask a Question