install of Office 2004 freezes at User Information screen

E

emilymc

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Hi, I'm trying to install Office 2004 on my G5 Mac (using Leopard) and when the installation reaches the User Information screen, it freezes and has to be force-quit. This is true when I use the Setup Assistant or when I do a drag-and-drop installation. I googled and found one person with the same problem- they had solved it by running Autoupdate, so I did that, but it didn't help. Any advice would be appreciated very much! I'm useless without my Excel spreadsheets! Thank you.
-Emily

C

CyberTaz

Hi Emily -

Did your (or *do* you) have the Office 2004 Test Drive (free trial)
installed on the Mac? If so but it wasn't properly & completely removed
using the Remove Office utility that may be the cause of your problem.

If Test Drive is *definitely* not the issue, were you running Office 2004 in
Tiger prior to upgrading to Leopard?

Provide more details on how you got to where you are & include specifics on
what exact versions of OS X & Office are involved.

E

emilymc

Hi Bob,

I'm pretty sure I currently don't have Test Drive installed. I had been running Office 2004 in Leopard (with Test Drive still installed) and then had a huge crash and had to wipe the hard disk and restore from Time Machine backup. After that, Office kept on freezing, so I used the Remove Office utility to remove all installations of Office. It's at that point that I tried, and failed, to reinstall it.

Now, though, the plot thickens! After reading your response, I tried to use Remove Office again, and it told me I didn't have permission to uninstall office, and that I should do it under the user that installed it. Since I WAS the user that installed it, I first checked that it's not installed under any other users (it's not) and then repaired permissions. But I'm still getting the same message when I run Remove Office. Ack! This is nuts.

The exact version of OS X I'm using is 10.5.2, and the install disk of Office 2004 I have says "MS Office 2004 Mac Pro (Office 2004 Mac Standard)", and the name of my school and "For Microsoft Licensed Campus and School Customers' Use Only" (this is a computer in a laboratory). Is there any other information that would help?

Thank you!!

-Emily

Ask a Question