Installing an upgrade to a new Mac

A

Allsysgo

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

We are installing new iMacs for our users. We own Office X (original), Office 2004 (upgrade) and Office 2008 (upgrade). We have 6 copies of each (X, 2004 & 2008). How can we install Office 2008 onto the new iMacs? It is being removed from the old macs. Can we just install the 2008 upgrade and then insert the X or 2004 CD when it looks for the old version?
What is the correct proceedure?

Thanks,
Rich

A

Allsysgo

Found the answer by trying the install with a new 2008 CD. The installation key determines whether it is an upgrade or not, not the CD. The CDs are all the same, even if they say they are an Upgrade CD.
All I needed to do was to go through the install and then at the end reenter the upgrade key again. It then asked me to eject the 2008 CD and insert a CD that had a qualifying Office install. Just for the heck of it I inserted the Upgrade 2004 CD. Sure enough it found Office and completed the upgrade. Again there is no difference between a CD that says upgrade and one that does not. It is the key that determines if it is an upgrade.

C

CyberTaz

Yes, your expectation is correct. The upgrade packages are actually full
versions but need verification of a prior version in order to be installed.
The older version need not be physically on the Mac being upgraded as long
as you have the previous source disk. Just make sure that if a trial version
of Mac Office exists on the new systems that you run the Remove Office
utility to get rid of it before installing the software.

Ask a Question