Master slide is unique to each slide - I wantmaster to affect all slides

T

tigershoot

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

Hi

I have been supplied with a 40 slide presentation. From what I have read I should be able to change say the font on the slide master and see this carry through to all slides. It does not. It only affects the slide I was working on. Why is the slide master not affecting all slides? I have opened the file in Powerpoint 2004 too and the same thing happens. Help - I am desperate.

S

Steve Rindsberg

Version: v.X
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

Hi

I have been supplied with a 40 slide presentation. From what I have read I should be able
to change say the font on the slide master and see this carry through to all slides. It does
not. It only affects the slide I was working on. Why is the slide master not affecting all
slides? I have opened the file in Powerpoint 2004 too and the same thing happens. Help - I
am desperate.

There are at least two common reasons for this.

1) Whoever created the presentation has entered text into the body/title text placeholders,
then selected and reformatted text. When you do this, it tells PPT "I don't care what the
master slide says, for THIS slide, I want it formatted MY way." Any formatting applied this
way overrides the master formatting.

Fix: Reapply the slide layout. Sometimes you have to do this several times for it to
"take".

2) Somebody deleted the placeholders altogether and created their own text boxes. If so,
the text boxes have no connection to the master and nothing you do to the master will affect
them.

Fix: After slapping the guilty party upside the head, you can reapply the layout; that
should create new text placeholders on the slide. Then copy/paste the text from the
"standalone/orphan" text boxes into the new placeholders. Not. Fun.

Ask a Question