Office Apps won't open, give error msgs, then freeze

D

davidorr

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

When I try to open an Office app, I get the following error msgs:
"You are working without a Word work file and memory is nearly full. Save your work." I click "OK" and I get a window saying "Word cannot open this document template. (Document Elements.dotx)" I click OK and Word freezes; I have to Force Quit the app.

This occurs in all Office apps. There is no memory problem I can identify. I have plenty of RAM and plenty of free hard drive space. I have re-installed Office twice after uninstalling all traces of Office, including identities folder. I start with a fresh 12.0 install; I can update this but after an update I continue to have the problem.

I am using 10.4.11 on a 2006 Intel iMac w/ 2GB RAM. Any suggestions are welcome.

D

davidorr

I should add to the previous post that I am observing via Activity Monitor that Word occupies at first about 30% of CPU, but after I click through the error msgs, Word jumps to 80-90% of CPU usage. Does this indicate a memory leak?

D

Diane Ross

Did this start immediately after an Office update?

Testing in a new User will quickly tell you if the problem is system wide or
if it¹s your User¹s folder that contains the problem.

Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Accounts. Switch to the
New User by logging out/in or use Fast User Switching. Test Office there.

Help with the memory error:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/error/not_enough_memory.html>

Ask a Question