On-Screen Fonts are too big. HUGE, in fact.

O

orthorim

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel
Email Client: Exchange

I have set my email font in Entourage to Helvetica 9 (HTML email). However, when I look at a mail, or reply to one, I get a giant font that looks more like Helvetica 18 or 24. I have this side by side with a TextEdit document set to Helvetica 9, and it's easily double size.

The same thing is true for any other font I have tried. For some reason, Entourage displays the fonts huge. Making them smaller via CMD-- is not an option since Helvetica 9 is the correct size for sending email, and it is what the recipient should get. If I set it to size 3 it looks OK on my screen but the recipient won't be able to read it because it's so tiny.

I am currently trying out Entourage and this issue makes it impossible for me to use. I need Entourage to display the font sizes correctly.

I am wondering if this is because I have a high resolution screen - it's 133 dpi on a unibody MacBook Pro 17". Either way the fault seems to be with Entourage since all other programs display fonts at the normal size.

To put it another way, Entourage looks as if I was zoomed in 200%. But I didn't see any zoom options in the preferences.

D

Diane Ross

I am wondering if this is because I have a high resolution screen - it's 133
dpi on a unibody MacBook Pro 17". Either way the fault seems to be with
Entourage since all other programs display fonts at the normal size.

We don't get as many complaints about font sizes as in previous version. I
suspect your screen resolution might be the culprit here.

BTW, if you used plain text, everyone would be happy. You would set what you
like and the user would have their preferences set to size they like.

IMHO, if you sent me Helvetica 9, I would probably just ignore it. It would
be way too tiny for me to read. I would assume you didn't care a whit about
me being able to read your message so thunk it goes to the trash. YMMV

Everything you need to know about Plain Text or HTML

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/get_started/plain_html.html>

O

orthorim

Thanks for your response!

I will have to switch to another email client that can display fonts at their correct size.

Your suggestion to use plain text is a good one - however, our office often sends email in HTML format and they expect to get HTML format back, e.g. not lose all formatting in the reply.

I am not sure it's correct to say my display resolution is "the culprit". Other apps seem to have no issues with the display resolution. If Entourage does something special when the display resolution is high, like normalize sizes as they would appear on a 72dpi display, it's a bug.

Ask a Question