Slideshow with black border around it

Reaction score
I'm running 2 different macbook air early 2014's with Office 2011. I'm running both into a switcher via thunderbolt to hdmi which then goes to a projector. I set both computers up to BDMI HDMI in the display settings. I opened a powerpoint presentation on both and went to Page Setup and changed it to 16:9 (and also tried 16:10).

One of the computers projects the slides perfectly in either 16:9 or 16:10. However, the 2nd computer projects with a large black border on all four sides of the slide. I cannot figure out how to get the border to go away. I checked and triple checked the Page SEtup in Powerpoint as well as the Display settings on the computer. They match exactly to the computer that projects fine. I tried different input ports into switcher and I've tried different thunderbolt/hdmi wires. Nothing corrects it. However, if I project the background of the computer, it projects to the expected 16:9. If I pull up Keynote and open up a powerpoint presentation in it, it projects perfectly fine with 16:9. What's even more perplexing is that if I plug the hdmi directly into the projector it looks great with no black border.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It's like there's some type of setting somewhere for Powerpoint that I'm missing. I even tried resetting the SMC by holding Shift+Control+Option and power key.

I'm at a loss here. Any idea?
Thanks!

Ask a Question