Problem opening some projects using Project Professional

J

Joseph Cook

My company is currently using Project Server 2007 along with Project Professional 2007. I have a handful of projects that will not open in Project Professional. I can edit the project properties and publish them without any problem, and I can view project details in PWA. However, when I try to open the project in Professional (either directly from Professional, or clicking the Project icon in PWA), Project Professional launches, but the project doesn't open. It is stuck showing 'Opening <projectname>' in the bottom left hand corner. If I close Project using the 'x', I get 'Project has encountered an error...' message. I can delete the project from the published database and successfully open it from the draft database using Professional, but once I publish the project, I can no longer open it in Professional. I have tried restoring a project to a previous version from the administrative backup with no luck. I have restored the Project databases to my test environment and have the same problem. I have also tried opening a blank project and inserting one of the problem projects into it but that didn't work, either. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I looked at the SQL report 'Disk usage by top tables' for the ProjectServer_Published db, the msp_assignment_transaction table shows as using 4.4GB of data w/ 17,633 records - the next largest table is msp_projects using 89MB and 544 records. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx

B

Ben Howard

Hi Joseph,
I can't comment on the DB size, but it does sound to me as though there is
some data corruption within the plan. I would save the plan as an XML file
(you'll lose the formatting), and then open the xml file from Project Pro,
and then save it back to the project server (choose a different name). If it
saves successfully, then re-format the data, delete the old project, and
rename the new one to reflect the old name. You'll have to sort out WSS
separately.

--
Thanks, Ben.

Please rate this post if it helped.
http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/

Joseph Cook said:
My company is currently using Project Server 2007 along with Project Professional 2007. I have a handful of projects that will not open in Project Professional. I can edit the project properties and publish them without any problem, and I can view project details in PWA. However, when I try to open the project in Professional (either directly from Professional, or clicking the Project icon in PWA), Project Professional launches, but the project doesn't open. It is stuck showing 'Opening <projectname>' in the bottom left hand corner. If I close Project using the 'x', I get 'Project has encountered an error...' message. I can delete the project from the published database and successfully open it from the draft database using Professional, but once I publish the project, I can no longer open it in Professional. I have tried restoring a project to a previous version from the administrative backup with no luck. I have restored the Project databases to my test environment and
have the same problem. I have also tried opening a blank project and inserting one of the problem projects into it but that didn't work, either. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I looked at the SQL report 'Disk usage by top tables' for the ProjectServer_Published db, the msp_assignment_transaction table shows as using 4.4GB of data w/ 17,633 records - the next largest table is msp_projects using 89MB and 544 records. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

J

Joseph Cook

Thanks for the reply Ben. Actually, I installed SP2 and the August CU to both server and clients and the problem seems to be resolved.

Thanks,
Joseph

Posted as a reply to:

RE: Problem opening some projects using Project Professional

Hi Joseph,
I can't comment on the DB size, but it does sound to me as though there is
some data corruption within the plan. I would save the plan as an XML file
(you'll lose the formatting), and then open the xml file from Project Pro,
and then save it back to the project server (choose a different name). If it
saves successfully, then re-format the data, delete the old project, and
rename the new one to reflect the old name. You'll have to sort out WSS
separately.

--
Thanks, Ben

Please rate this post if it helped
http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com

have the same problem. I have also tried opening a blank project and inserting one of the problem projects into it but that didn't work, either. I'm not sure if this is related or not, but when I looked at the SQL report 'Disk usage by top tables' for the ProjectServer_Published db, the msp_assignment_transaction table shows as using 4.4GB of data w/ 17,633 records - the next largest table is msp_projects using 89MB and 544 records. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a-6dafb17b6d74/wcf-workflow-services-usi.aspx

Ask a Question