Unable to save excel files and get'not enough memory or available disk space'

B

BrianC

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hi there.

I have an Intel MacBook (2G RAM, 667MHz) and I've started to get an error message when I try to save Excel files (Excel 2004). I've more that 75G left on my hard drive.

The error message happens when I try to save every Excel file, even ones with just a single cell filed in. I have maybe half a dozen small excel files saved on my Mac, I don't use it for anything big or complex, just simple, small, lists and tables.

Closing down other open apps such as mail, firefox, safari, has no impact on the problem.

As far as I'm aware, both Tiger and Excel are smack bang up to date.

The text of the error message says;

Microsoft excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not enough available memory or disk space.

To make more memory available, close workbooks or programmes you no longer need.

To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from the disk you are saving to.

Is there a simple straighforward bug fix for this?

Many thanks

B

Bob Greenblatt

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hi there.

I have an Intel MacBook (2G RAM, 667MHz) and I've started to get an error
message when I try to save Excel files (Excel 2004). I've more that 75G left
on my hard drive.

The error message happens when I try to save every Excel file, even ones with
just a single cell filed in. I have maybe half a dozen small excel files saved
on my Mac, I don't use it for anything big or complex, just simple, small,
lists and tables.

Closing down other open apps such as mail, firefox, safari, has no impact on
the problem.

As far as I'm aware, both Tiger and Excel are smack bang up to date.

The text of the error message says;

Microsoft excel cannot open or save any more documents because there is not
enough available memory or disk space.

To make more memory available, close workbooks or programmes you no longer
need.

To free disk space, delete files you no longer need from the disk you are
saving to.

Is there a simple straighforward bug fix for this?

Many thanks
Have you restarted the computer? Repaired permissions?

B

BrianC

Hi Bob

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I had previously tried both 'repair permissions' and restarted the machine, but neither had any effect.

This afternoon I just reinstalled the 'Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.3 Update'. I ran this update as I got an error message when I tried to check for Excel updates. The error message said

'Auto update cannot connect to the update server. The server might be too busy or there might be a problem with your network connection. Wait a few minutes and then try again.'

I got this message last night after I made my original post and again this morning.

Hence, I installed the most recent office for mac update from the Microsoft site this afternoon.

At any rate, after the update and after again repairing permissions, I get the same error message when I try to save an excel file.

Not sure if the auto update issue is connected to the original problem?

Regards

Brian

Ask a Question