Visio 2016 - Single exterior wall with multiple thicknesses

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

After a lot of searching on google and coming up with no answers I am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction.

**Disclaimer** - I am a completely new Visio user. However I've been working in the tech / IT industry for 13 years and am very well versed with AutoCAD / CAD software in general. I can usually figure my way around but this specific problem has me completely stuck.

The problem:

We have an AutoCAD floor plan of a mall. My manager would like this redrawn in Visio, so he can adjust the rooms based on tenants leasing / leaving the mall.

I'm trying to make just the exterior walls of this mall (using the floor plan template with the exterior wall shape under "Walls, Shell and Structure" with a background images of the CAD file that I am tracing over with Visio shapes.

Let's focus on one vertical wall section.
The first 1/3 of the wall is 12 inches wide, the next 1/3 of the wall is 24 inches wide, the last 1/3 is 12 inches wide again (for example)

So it's like 3 different walls (different widths) touching end to end in one long vertical run.

When I draw a second wall with a different thickness touching end to end (widths of walls are end to end) Visio makes both the walls the same width ... and does not allow me to change the walls widths individually.

When I try to force change (by dragging) the width of any of the 2 walls at this point, the other end of the first wall shoots off a corner to some next arbitrary area of the drawing.

Is there a way to lock existing drawn walls so new glued walls do not affect the original walls thickness and length ??

Currently I am drawing the skinniest width down the entire wall, than drawing a thicker wall beside this original wall where the additional wall thickness is needed. Is there a better way to do this ? This hardly seems technically correct.

I hope I was able to explain this well, I can provide pictures or additional details if needed.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Hello there,

I'm wondering if anyone can help me with how I can RESET the amount of UNDO I can do in VISIO 2016.
From the FILE tab, I clicked OPTIONS then clicked ADVANCED and scrolled down to see MAXIMUM NUMBER OF UNDOS set to 99. I've already exceeded this, and wondering if there's a way to reset this?

Ask a Question