08 Mac Office activation problems

T

TMB

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)

Just found an article posted by michellec and I am faced with exactly the same problem - on 'activation' of the product, none of the 3 product keys seem to be correct, hence activation is unsuccessful!! Have received some help emails (and thanks Diana yours had the microsoft help number that has been good, despite the fact they can't help me and tell me I must get in touch with Digital River) but seems that what I need is another product key, and now that I'm asking for that since about 10 days, I don't get any reply from DR! extremely frustrating.
If anyone has another way by which I can contact them please let me know - re-downloading the software clearly isn't an asnwer as Ive tried that several times, deleted all versions before, etc etc.......

Thanks in advance,

TMB

M

Marshall_Nam

Hi TMB,

I'm the Mac BU product manager that works with DR on these issues.I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the activation window. We'll be working with Digital River to get better customer support responses in the future. The activation window is trickier than the Office 2008 installer.

Taking the following steps will often solve the majority of activation issues.
1. Make sure the product key is entered in ALL CAPS. (the installer forces all caps, the activation window does not).
2. Make sure you type the dashes in the product key when entering it (the installer adds the dashes, the activation window does not).
3. Make sure there are no spaces to the right or left of the product key (the installer removes spaces, the activation window does not).
4. Make sure you are entering the product key (25 alphanumeric characters) and not the product id (a series of numbers).

If we can make sure we're not being tripped up by case, dashes or spaces, we can take the next step in making sure you get up and running.

Best,
Marshall

T

TMB

Hi Marshall,

And thanks so much for coming back to me!
I've been through the above steps with the Microsoft support a few times, I am entering any one of the 3 product keys DR has provided me with, I've both copy/pasted, and typed myself - yes they are all alpha-numeric, all in caps, and no spacing, etc.
Speaking of the product id, have also tried to enter that number in with 'manual activation' but again the system tells me it is an invalid code.

Sorry that these remedies are already tried, look forward to next set of advise!

Best regards,
TMB

T

TMB

HI, that's "good" to hear, problem shared a problem halved right... and is there someone out there that knows how we can get this sorted?

T

Tough

"There's a LOT of people having the same issue".
Exactly. Me too, but things are gettin' even more interesting when buying the product: my account has been charged those $400 over an hour ago, never got any information on the purchase.
Sittin' here with a feeling I've been fooled with.

T

Tough

Exactly. Me too, but things are gettin' even more interesting when buying the product: my account has been charged those $400 over an hour ago, never got any information on the purchase.

T

Tough

T

Tough

My order's finally OK, am downloading Office 2008 Standard again, will see if it activates after re-installation.

M

Marshall_Nam

Hi everyone. Good thread, here. I hoping we can figure this out and help you as well as other customers with what we learn.

What's the exact error message you're getting when you try to activate?

During installation, you should only need your product key. (25 alphanumeric characters with dashes).

If you're behind a firewall (built into a router, or even the OS), or inside a corporate/university network, that can also cause problems, too.

Manual activation is intended for customers who don't have internet access. A unique manual activation code can be requested by clicking on the customer service button in the activation window, then selecting 'Contact Customer Service' option from the FAQ.

I apologize for asking the obvious questions, but I want to make sure that we get you up and running, and document this so we can help our other customers.

Let me know, and thanks.

Best,
Marshall

M

Marshall_Nam

Just to make sure I catch myself, by 'not have internet access' I meant to say people who don't have internet access during activation, or have a firewall or router preventing them from activating. :)

T

TMB

Hey Marshall,
the internet connection is fine, and I've attempted the activation several times in different locations - home, office, public places, with and without Microsoft support on the phone with me at the time.
Have tried the 3 product keys that I have been supplied with, and with all of them in all different locations the error message is the same - the code I have provided is inaccurate.
I've also tried to get somewhere through the Customer Service, and there they request the product ID that in my case starts with 01104-etc. - and I get an error message telling me the code is invalid!
Hope above answers all your questions, and look forward to getting help sooooon ;)

TMB

R

Rob Schneider

Hey Marshall,
the internet connection is fine, and I've attempted the activation several times in different locations - home, office, public places, with and without Microsoft support on the phone with me at the time.
Have tried the 3 product keys that I have been supplied with, and with all of them in all different locations the error message is the same - the code I have provided is inaccurate.
I've also tried to get somewhere through the Customer Service, and there they request the product ID that in my case starts with 01104-etc. - and I get an error message telling me the code is invalid!
Hope above answers all your questions, and look forward to getting help sooooon ;)

TMB

suggest you phone Microsoft on the number provided.

M

Marshall_Nam

Hey TMB,

This is definitely a stumper. Maybe manual activation will work for you?

If you haven't already, try requesting a manual activation code using the DR support form through the 'Contact Customer Service' link at <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/Office2008/customer-service.mspx> (you'll need to select a country and product, also, as I'm not sure which country you are writing from).

You will need to provide them the hardware ID on the manual activation screen from the activation window.

If manual activation doesn't work from you, we can continue to look at it from there.

For activation questions, DR support will be more knowledgeable than MS support. Let us know.

As an FYI, I may not be available to follow this thread for a couple weeks, and I've asked that you be followed up with. Hoping for the best!

Best,
Marshall

T

TMB

Hi Marshall, or someone else that is at the other end in your absence, I've not received any reply from the customer service of DR.. does anyone know of a more effective way in getting contact with them??
Have mailed them a few times in the past weeks and they always ask me to call Microsoft support..... who tell me to email DR...... vicious circle.
TMB

D

Diane Ross

Hi Marshall, or someone else that is at the other end in your absence, I've
not received any reply from the customer service of DR.. does anyone know of a
more effective way in getting contact with them??
Have mailed them a few times in the past weeks and they always ask me to call
Microsoft support..... who tell me to email DR...... vicious circle.
TMB

I've forwarded this on to a contact that is investigating issues with DR.
Sorry you are having so much trouble, but there is nothing we can offer as a
workaround.

T

TMB

Hi all,

I finally got sent the manual activation code last night so all at long last well with my Windows applications!
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions, and for helping me remain persisntant ;)

TMB

M

Marshall_Nam

Great to hear that you're up and running, TMB.

And thanks for your persistence. Your experience will be of great help to others who encounter the same situation!

Ask a Question