12.0.1 Update Fails: Unable to

K

kevinh

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Power PC

Amazing! I completely flattened my Power PC Powerbook G4 (plenty of RAM 1 G and plenty of disk space). I updated the OS to the most current Apple recommended updates - 10.5.6. I then faithfully installed Microsoft Office 2008 and ran the Autoupdate - updating to the latest Autoupdater and then re-ran the auto-updater. The updater attempted to apply the most recently patches and then it it 12.0.1.

12.0.1 failed with this issue:

You cannot install Office 2008 SP1 Update (12.1.0) on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume.

I swallowed my pride and used the un-patched officer for about three weeks. My Mac was running VERY slow in Microsoft apps but the Apple iWork 2009 and iLife apps run just fine - as do my other apps.

I then trashed Prefs as recommended in one fine posting - which did nothing for me. I go into any of the Microsoft apps and the tabs load like molasses in January - SLOW is not an applicable word - the word congealed comes to mind.

I then reinstalled Office hoping that would solve my problem - but no indeed. I read different postings and usually its app specific - or one MVP recommended installing the most recent Apple update which was pre-10.5.6 (I think it was 10.5.1.). But indeed 10.5.6 is installed on this machine.

Keep in mind 1 GIG of RAM; 3.1 GIG of free disk space.

My ONLY error - and forgive me fellow Mac users - I used Onyx and ran (eek) all of its scripts. But I experienced NO substantial changes in Mac Office - and the first time I had troubles Onyx was not used - I downloaded that two weeks ago and my Office 2008 issues happened long before that.

Please do not suggesting uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2008 in your response. I don't think that's a very smart solution. I'll buy that it's Microsoft Office fonts. But I doubt it. And if someone suggests that Apples iWork / iLife fonts are at fault we have some real issues. Again - no particular problems in iLife or iWork but unfortunately PowerPoint has 'free' graphics - and iWork / iLife does not :(

Help! Please!

Thanks,

dfwenigma

Plano TX

D

Diane Ross

Keep in mind 1 GIG of RAM; 3.1 GIG of free disk space.

1GB is RAM is not very much. Leopard itself is going to eat most of that up
without opening any other applications. 3.1GB free space is dangerously low.
You need a minimum of 10% free space for virtual memory. Be sure to check
this link for how to check Pagein/outs.

Problems from Insufficient RAM and Free Hard Disk Space
The updater attempted to apply the most recently patches and then it it 12.0.1.

The updater shouldn't even see the 12.0.1 update. It was rolled into the
12.1.0 SP1 updater.

Do you have an external drive that could be used for backup? I would clone
your current drive, then wipe it and install only the necessary applications
so you have room, or use the external as your boot drive.

Ask a Question