12.1.7 Update won't open .xlsx files.

V

veritas3241

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

I updated office today (to 12.1.7) and now excel won't open .xlsx files. It can do files that were originally saved as .xls okay, but if i manually convert from .xlsx to .xls, it doesn't. It say (for both situations) This file might have been damaged or modified from its original format. I'm running 10.5.7. Any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

C

CyberTaz

Have you run a disk permission repair since updating Office & OS X? Have you
also restarted your Mac?

What do you mean by "manually convert"? If you've edited the filename
extension in Finder it's no wonder the files won't open... the extensions
identify the file type & altering the extension doesn't change that -- it
just misleads the OS & the app that's trying to open the file.

W

wangermichael

I am very angry!!! I got the same problem on a MacPro 2 x 3,2 Quad 6GB RAM, Microsoft??????? don´t you test your software!?!?!?! I am loosing time and work now! I can not double-save every file just because you do not want to follow professional rules. We are talking about business and not fun! I had to pay a lot for this kind of non-working software! Windows is the same, do we realy have to change the software to wake Microsoft up and to be able to work?

W

wangermichael

Solution:

open the file with numbers and save it again for Excel again, you will be able to work with the file (at least) and save it for an old version of Excel.

V

veritas3241

so opening with numbers and saving as an excel file worked for one of them, but the other file was hopeless. excel on mac and pc couldn't open it, and numbers couldn't even open it. permissions and a restart didn't have any effect. oh well... time to redo the work on those spreadsheets!

Ask a Question