2003, 2004 and 2008 compatibility

H

HeatherHG

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Last installed update: 12.2.1

We are looking to migrate a large volume of "legacy" powerpoint documents for use in 2008. I am finding when a document was created in PowerPoint 2004 for the Mac then saved in PowerPoint 2008 for the Mac and then opened via PowerPoint 2003 on the Windows XP parallels desktop I am unable to tab (or promote/demote) the paragraph levels properly. When a level is promoted text appears off of the slide onto the pasteboard area. Please advise if there is a work-around of if I can provide more information.

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard)
Processor: Intel

Last installed update: 12.2.1

We are looking to migrate a large volume of "legacy" powerpoint documents for use in 2008. I am finding when a document was created in PowerPoint 2004 for the Mac then saved in PowerPoint 2008 for the Mac and then opened via PowerPoint 2003 on the Windows XP parallels desktop I am unable to tab (or promote/demote) the paragraph levels properly. When a level is promoted text appears off of the slide onto the pasteboard area. Please advise if there is a work-around of if I can provide more information.

Hi,

One of the most important things when migrating is to make sure that
each version of Office has all of the latest updates, and that the
documents were recently saved using updated Office.

So, make sure Office 2004 is fully updated. Open any problem
presentation in the fully updated 2004 and then save it.

Before opening any presentation in Office 2003 for Windows, use Windows
Update to make sure you have all of the patches for Office 2003 installed.

-Jim

H

HeatherHG

Hi Jim - thanks for your last reply. I have now applied all updates to 2003, 2004 and 2008. I am also now on Snow Leopard.

The error that I'm getting results after opening a doc (that originated in 2004) in 2008, saving it (as pptx), reopening it in 2004 and saving it in 2004. When I try to now work in the doc in 2004 via increase/decrease list level (or promote/demote levels) the bullets and text relocate off the slide onto the pasteboard. This is a problem as our employees are in offices over multiple geographies and upgrading 2008 will be a phased process with some people working in 2004 and some in 2008. Please advise if you have any ideas. Thank you, Heather

J

Jim Gordon MVP

Hi Jim - thanks for your last reply. I have now applied all updates to 2003, 2004 and 2008. I am also now on Snow Leopard.

The error that I'm getting results after opening a doc (that originated in 2004) in 2008, saving it (as pptx), reopening it in 2004 and saving it in 2004. When I try to now work in the doc in 2004 via increase/decrease list level (or promote/demote levels) the bullets and text relocate off the slide onto the pasteboard. This is a problem as our employees are in offices over multiple geographies and upgrading 2008 will be a phased process with some people working in 2004 and some in 2008. Please advise if you have any ideas. Thank you, Heather

Hi,

Please report the problem to Microsoft using one of their feedback
channels. This sounds like a new bug, perhaps related to saving in .pptx
using Snow Leopard using 2004.

If you have the ability to try the same documents and scenario on a
different Snow Leopard machine, it might be worth a try to determine
whether it is a unique problem for just that one machine.

-Jim

Ask a Question