Accented Characters Problem

B

BeHofi

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have downloaded an XLS file from the web.
When I open that xls file in EXCEL 2008 for MAc, accented (swedish) characters DO NOT show correctly.
BUT
When i open that file in EXCEL 2002 for Windows (over Parallels), accented (swedish) characters show correctly.

What setting do i have to change so EXCEL 2008 for MAC OSX 10.5 shows the characters correctly.

There is a workaround (which i dont want to use): download xls from web, open xls with EXCEL for Windows, save file as is- open file in EXCEL 2008 for MAC... then the accented (swedish) characters also show correctly.

X

XinXin

Hi, do you mind pointing me to the document on the web? I'd like to see whether I can reproduce this problem. Also, could you please check whether your MacOffice is updated to 12.2.3?

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

B

BeHofi

Hello XinXin

Then file can be downloaded from

http://files.me.com/genericfinancials/ndd9mi
Please write me a private email for the password as the file contains client info

Look at the special characters on line 4 and 5

Thanks for your help

(BTW: when i doubleclick the file under windows XP, i get error message "is not a valid win32 application"....
So i open excel 2002, and then open the file from within excel for window and the file opens correctly.)

X

XinXin

Hi, our engineers got back to me with this explanation:

The file is actually part of a malformed html file with just a element. The problem strings appear in the file as "Bergstrˆm" and "B‰ck‰ngsv‰gen 16", but if you rename the file to .html, it opens and is interpreted fine in a web browser (like Safari), with the accented characters showing properly. But Excel doesn't interpret such a file correctly. If you enter accented characters in an xls file, it loads and saves correctly.

Thanks,
XinXin Liu
Macintosh Business Unit, Microsoft

Ask a Question