Adding a comment in a footnote area

Reaction score
While working in MS Word 2007, I would like to add a comment in a footnote area. When I highlight the word I want to comment on, the New Comment tab at the top of the page is darkened out and unresponsive. When I click back into the regular text area, the New Comment tab becomes live again. How do I add a comment in a footnote area at the bottom of the page?

macropod

Microsoft MVP
Reaction score
The behaviour is by design. You can add a comment to the footnote reference in the document body, however. You also cannot add comments to headers, footers, text boxes, or endnotes

The design limitation may be due to the underlying file structure - or because there's precious little demand for it. I've been working with Word for over 30 years and supporting forums for most of that. In all that time, it has been extremely rare for anyone to have an issue with being unable to add comments to footnotes themselves - I know of only two other instances.

Ask a Question