Advanced Drop Down List Option

Reaction score
I found a post from 2006 that almost answered this question but didn't quite get far enough.

I want someone to be able to select from a drop down list that had a description, select the description they want, but in THAT cell have the code that was being described come up instead of what they selected.

The 2006 answer gave to use a vlookup, but that only works if I have enough room in what I'm creating to have extra columns but I don't, especially since I have to do this several times because the form will have several drop down lists with the same issue.

Here's an example:

I want the drop down list to look like this:
Department 1's Name
Department 2's Name
Department 3's Name

I want the results in the cell where they are selecting the drop down menu to look like this:
Department 1's Department #
Department 2's Department #
Department 3's Department #

I need the drop down list cell to not include the description because I'll be using a column after the several drop down menus that will be using the concatenate formula to combine them to form a longer string. The descriptions can't be part of this string, so if I had to have the descriptions show up too, I'll have to have several vlookups and imbedded if statements to accomplish the same thing that would be accomplished if the above is possible.

Can someone let me know if what I'm looking for is possible, and if so, how to go about it?

Thanks,
Carol

Ask a Question