This seems to be missing in Excel 2011. In 2008, I could pick a
field, right-click, field settings, advanced, auto-sort options and
sort by "using field". Where did this go in 2011? This has been
sooooo frustrating. Thanks in advance.

M

Mark Quinn

Hi Kdizzle,

This frustrated me too!

There are two ways to sort pivot table data in 2011... the easiest way is to click within the column of data you want to sort by, and then click the "sort" icon up on the static toolbar (the icon is probably in about the center of the toolbar and looks like an "A" on top of a "Z" with an arrow pointing down to the right of the letters).

The other way is to click within the column you want to sort and then select Data, Sort... from the menu bar.

Best,
Mark

Submitted via EggHeadCafe
Microsoft Silverlight For Beginners
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/training-topic-area/Microsoft-Silverlight/10/Silverlight.aspx

T

Tom Schmidt

Hi Mark, but how do I sort the pivottable by the Total column? I am banging my head against the wall here.

T

trinamf

No it doesn't. It won't sort the values in a pivotable. I can't figure out how to do it either. You can only sort the values that you've put in the row labels, you can't sort the values.

A

analytics.consultant

It's true, i can't use sort features on values, only avialable on Rows (left column). Well I'll just copy my pivot into a table and sort it there...

J

jmwhite70

It took me a while to figure it out as well. The sort icon that Mark Quinn refers to is in the "Data" ribbon menu. You might not be able to see it because you might be looking at the "Pivot Table" sub-ribbon menu.

R

richtench

I can find the Sort icon, but it simply doesn't work when you need to sort the table by the values. It will sort within the first grouping, but not the entire table. It worked in previous versions of Excel.

P

pj.morgan1

This seems to be missing in Excel 2011. In 2008, I could pick a
field, right-click, field settings, advanced, auto-sort options and
sort by "using field". Where did this go in 2011? This has been
sooooo frustrating. Thanks in advance.

Select the 1st value in the column within the table that you would like sort by, the sort icon or the Data:Sort menu tree will allow you to sort the entire table based on the values within the column you selected.

W

wiley.amber

Select the 1st value in the column within the table that you would like sort by, the sort icon or the Data:Sort menu tree will allow you to sort the entire table based on the values within the column you selected.

Thank you for this - this finally worked for me. So wack and frustrating that none of the other options I was trying were working.

M

marklove1

THANK YOU! I HATE MICROSOFT!

Cheers,
-mark

Thank you for this - this finally worked for me. So wack and frustrating that none of the other options I was trying were working.

R

robb

PJ, Thank you so much. Your solution works. This was really frustrating. Very poor software design.

Ask a Question