Alternating Positioning of Header

G

gawarner

Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel This actually refers back to an inactive thread from a couple of months ago (http://www.officeformac.com/ms/ProductForums/Word/9862/0), as I'm finally in a position to pick back up on this project. I would use the directions in that thread verbatim, but I noticed one of the initial suppositions is not quite what I was looking for.

Anyway, here's what I am trying to do: I'm rewriting a large reference manual, with each chapter as its own section. I want to:

1. Start each chapter on a right-hand page. I assume I'll just insert a blank page on the left if I need a first page of a chapter to fall on the right.

2. Suppress the running header and the page number on the first page of each chapter, so that it only begins showing on the second page of each chapter.

3. Set up running headers so that they are left-aligned on left-hand (even) pages and right-aligned on right-hand (odd) pages.

4. The running header will only contain the chapter name, including the chapter number. So it may say "Chapter 8: The Insert Menu", and it would say this same thing on both left- and right-hand pages.

Anyway, #4 above is a different understanding than in the other thread, so I'm assuming the process for accomplishing this is going to differ. Thanks in advance for any guidance. It is greatly appreciated.

P

Patty Winter

Anyway, here's what I am trying to do: I'm rewriting a large reference
manual, with each chapter as its own section. I want to:

1. Start each chapter on a right-hand page. I assume I'll just insert a
blank page on the left if I need a first page of a chapter to fall on
the right.

Or simply put in a section break and choose "Odd page."

2. Suppress the running header and the page number on the first page of
each chapter, so that it only begins showing on the second page of each
chapter.

Choose "Different First Page" from the header/footer toolbar. I think
Word will automatically delete your header text from the first page
of the section, but if it doesn't, you can delete it manually.

3. Set up running headers so that they are left-aligned on left-hand
(even) pages and right-aligned on right-hand (odd) pages.

Choose "Different Odd and Even Pages" from the header/footer toolbar.

4. The running header will only contain the chapter name, including the
chapter number. So it may say "Chapter 8: The Insert Menu", and it would
say this same thing on both left- and right-hand pages.

Bob and John have provided instructions previously on how to have a
chapter's title automatically turned into header/footer text. If you
can't find those instructions by searching this group, I'm sure that
they'll tell you how to do it.

Patty

Ask a Question