Animated GIF's do not work properly in Powerpoint 2010

W

Wim VAN PAEPEGEM

Dear all,

I am using animated GIF's for many years in my Powerpoint 2003 version. I never had problems with animations on conferences, presentations abroad, running my presentation on other computers, etc.
However, the last months, I experience more and more problems when I have to present my Office 2003 presentation with embedded animated GIF's on another computer with Powerpoint 2010 installed.
Some animated GIF's work, but others don't, and also in editing mode, some animated GIF's show the first frame of the animation, other GIF's give an error message and do not show up at all.
I did some searching on the internet, and other people report the same problem (for example http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...05?msgId=8a9225d0-7c56-4533-93ab-8b9ef49869d2).

Some people seem to see more problems when the animated GIF's are larger, or when the automatic compression of embedded images is turned on in Powerpoint 2010 (default option). Also saving the animated GIF's for infinite loopanimation or a single loop makes a difference.
I followed all these advices, but I still experience the problem when my Office 2003 presentation is loaded in Powerpoint 2010, without re-saving the presentation in Powerpoint 2010.
Further, the errors are not reproducible. Some animated GIF's work and others don't, and on the Powerpoint 2010 version that is installed at our university server, all animations work correctly, but sometimes on conferences, none of the animations works properly in Powerpoint 2010.

Does anybody have a solution for this ?
Best regards,
Wim

S

santituarte

Wim,
I am ahving the same problem, and it seems there's no answers out there. With 15Kb files it works OK, but not with larger files... When I open the presentation in a previous version of PP (2003), it works perfectly.

S

santituarte

Dear Wim,
I have found a way arround the problem, maybe you found it too.
I inserted the .gif file as a "VIDEO from file". In tools>reproduction, youhave to set it to start automatically and to repeat playback.
Regards,
Santi.-

Ask a Question